D112 Rattling/Farting

JG96

So this spring I did a recording session where there was a weird sounding artifact on the kick. I have used the mic since then without such issues. Recently bass was being tracked with the D112 and 2 hours into the session the farting returned. Anyone have similar issues with a D112? I am going to open it up once I get it back. I feel like it may be a mechanical issue since it is happening intermittently. Would an electronic/capsule problem happen intermittently like this? Here is a clip of the issue: It seems that the rattle gets more intense as the bass drum is hit harder.

That is what I thought and its quite possible it was. However the person I sold the mic to, who is now going to return it to me got a similar sound 3 inches out on a bass cab.

I've heard the diaphragms on the D112s can get stuck sometimes. I have no idea what that sounds like vs. the sample you posted, but just throwing it out there as an idea/something to check for.

I really don't know. I've only ever heard the stuck diaphragm referenced in other threads. Hopefully somebody that knows a bit more about it can come and chime in.

Before you go busting it open, check that the mic cable is snapping in and locking in place. I've seen mics where the cable will "click" in, but it still kind of wobbles a little in the mic housing. That can create a rattle with high volume low frequency stuff like bass cabs and kick drums. It's gotta be tight and snug.

I've never heard of that but i will definitely give it a try when I test it. Unfortunately right now I'm in college and the closest thing I have to low frequency high volume is a bass combo with a 6 inch speaker. I will have to experiment during thanksgiving break.

It could be that the capsule mount has come loose inside, this link has a download link showing the internals of the mic.

I have a similar problem with my old D12 where the rubber suspension inside has perished (my D112 is still OK).

Alan.

It could be that the capsule mount has come loose inside, this link has a download link showing the internals of the mic.

I have a similar problem with my old D12 where the rubber suspension inside has perished (my D112 is still OK).

Alan.

I was actually going to say something similar. I acquired two D112's from a dive bar, that always had issues with the kick sounding like crap. I opened it up and that rubber gasket had basically turned to dust in the smokey/vodka spilled environment it was living in. I fashioned one out of thick felt, and the mic performs perfectly now. Total cost, $5 (including the mics). The second mic I gave up on. It is just toast.

It could also be a weakened connection with the wiring inside of the mic. Worse case scenario, the capsule is toast. Try one thing at a time till you find out what the problem is. Start with the cheapest repair. :)

Making certain of cables and connections is no.1.

It could be that the capsule mount has come loose inside,
If the connections and cables are good, it might be worth checking this out. It's very accessible.

The D12 capsule assembly is suspended in an upright, kinda cube shaped, frame which can swing slightly front to back.
It has little rubber/foam bushes to stop it ratting about in there.

The D112 is totally different, but the same thing can happen.
If you take the four screws out of the D112 rear, the grill and capsule will come away as one piece. (Careful: Don't pull on the wires!)

You should now see two silver screws on the back of the grill. Remove those and you can pop the capsule assembly out.
It's like a tube with rubber nipples around the circumference. (easy, Jim!)

Those nipples (seriously, Jim!!) suspend the capsule. Just make sure they're not worn or dosed.

If they are, I guess a thin strip of adhesive foam would be a good enough repair.

Thinking about it, you don't even really need to take it out. Just wiggle the capsule assembly about and see if it's spongy or clicky.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the pointers! I wish I had the mic with me, now iim anxious to get this thing working! Hope its not the capsule! I feel If there was a capsule program it would always distort rather than intermittently.

Hey everyone! Just got the mic back. I opened it up and saw no issues. I think I might be dealing with a wobbly XLR Pin as that is the only thing on the mic that physically rattles. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement pin somewhere?

Can you post pics?
The three pins are set in moulded plastic. That whole piece is secured by a grub screw which can come loose.
Have you checked it?

I popped it open and the pins themselves didnt seem wobbly. The screw is tight though. If I can find my camera charger I can post pics :cursing:
I am thinking that simply taping the mic cable in place may prevent any rattles. Being in a college dorm I unfortunately don't have a big bass amp or a bass drum to test it on.
Also from that soundcloud clip I saw just how consistent the drummer from my band is. Shout out to big red!

I primarily have been a blues musician in my semi-pro status you might say . I've bought and sold about a gazzillion dollars in equip of all kinds over the years as I am sure most on this forum has done as well . With that said, several musician pals of mine have sort of sparked my interest in learning bass in my old age . Although my music influences range from all the REAL MUSIC that stems from the 50's , 60's and 70's, (here's where you can laugh if you like ), I've taken up ukulele in the recent past quite adamantly . Currently I have acquired a pile of all flavors of custom luthier ( mostly USA made ) ukulele . My bass playing buds that play well across genre and instrument lines convinced me to purchase a Kala UBass and of course, that's what I did a few weeks back . AppValley Vidmate TweakBox

Last edited:
I primarily have been a blues musician in my semi-pro status you might say . I've bought and sold about a gazzillion dollars in equip of all kinds over the years as I am sure most on this forum has done as well . With that said, several musician pals of mine have sort of sparked my interest in learning bass in my old age . Although my music influences range from all the REAL MUSIC that stems from the 50's , 60's and 70's, (here's where you can laugh if you like ), I've taken up ukulele in the recent past quite adamantly . Currently I have acquired a pile of all flavors of custom luthier ( mostly USA made ) ukulele . My bass playing buds that play well across genre and instrument lines convinced me to purchase a Kala UBass and of course, that's what I did a few weeks back .

Sorry but what has this got to do with a faulty microphone?

Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread?

Alan.

Back