d00ds out there wanna recommend overhead mic stands?

kidkage

Bored of Canada
I've had these $20-$30 musicians gear tripod stands for a while now. So I've also felt incredibly uneasy whenever I suspend my LDC's on them. I also feel like they don't get high enough (Glynn Johns or recorderman), and it's kind of weird to position the mic nearest the floor tom since I'm so close to a wall.

I've managed for a while, but now it's starting to interfere with workflow since i take the mics out whenever the room is unattended so they dont tip over.

So I'm ready for two really awesome, strong, flexible stands for my overheads... that i can also use if I ever need to drape blankets for vox or geetars :o

I hope to not go more than 150 for the pair.

This is much cheaper for overhead mic mounting, if you can screw into the ceiling in your room. Throw on a boom and save the worry of a bull screwing up your china. :D

Yo Kidkage! Welcome to the world of "you get what you pay for." This bad boy will do what you want and a lot more:

OnStage SMS7650 | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Free Shipping on most orders!

You want expensive mics 12 feet in the air? (I do for stereo ensemble recording- choirs, etc.). I've got 2 like this in the studio, and other than short booms and desk stands, they are the ones that get used 90% of the time for everything.-Richie

I've got one of those too. You can do chin ups on it. The best normal sized boom stands I have are Tama. Very solid.

I've had these $20-$30 musicians gear tripod stands for a while now. So I've also felt incredibly uneasy whenever I suspend my LDC's on them. I also feel like they don't get high enough (Glynn Johns or recorderman), and it's kind of weird to position the mic nearest the floor tom since I'm so close to a wall.

HAHAHA I've got the same ones you have! I was getting soooo pissed the other day just trying to do some simple adjustments lol. So just know that I do indeed feel your pain and am suffering alongside you! :D

You can continue to use the cheap tripods if you "sand bag" the base of them. there are pro ones or you can find old 5 lbs. weights and put them in unused nylon bags for camera gear ect. it works very well.

The stands Richard suggested work very good but you must have the room for them.

I still prefer the ceiling mount. Drummers tend to be clumsy and move boom stands accidently. I know one. :D

Hmm cool cool. Do you have pics of the ceiling mounts jimmy?

Not sure that a pair of what richard recommended is in the budget. But I guess I just need one for the over snare mic.

Anyone else used what tmix recommended?

Here ya go. One of the overhead mic stands I use in the drum room.

Attachments

• Overhead.jpg
    Overhead.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 49
Looks like I'll really just need one new stand. For the snare side. The tom side I can sandbag or something.

Now I just have to decide between ceiling arm or one of those crazy stands. One takes up less room, and the other could be used to hang blankets.

decisions decisions

Back