Condenser Mics for the New Recording Artist

Danny Love

Hi guys, I've been browsing the forums for quite a while but just decided today that I'd register and start posting, so don't be too hard on me :p. Anyways I have an acoustic guitar and some vocal chords so I want to start recording, and I would like to know what condenser mics you suggest. Now I'm looking for anywhere from $0 to around $250, probably at most, (consider that eBay has cheaper prices on some of the higher end models). And before I post any of the ones I've been considering I want to hear your opinions of what some good mics are, without worrying about my room conditions, etc. What do YOU guys think is the best in this range for vocals and acoustic mic'ing?

Thanks!
-Daniel:D

I've looked at that package before and here is the thing, I could get just one mic for that price (and higher quality than the AT2020) which I could use for both instrument and vocals, is their any reason why I wouldn't want to use a standard large diaphragm side address for mic'ing acoustic? In some of the videos of artists such as Elliott Smith recording his songs he used one mic to mic his vocals AND his acoustic guitar at the same time on one track and it sounded amazing.

So is there any reason I should get a small condenser like that AT2021 or MXL 603s? Because I just figure I could get one large diaphragm that is a bit better quality instead of getting a two mic package. Thanks so much for the quick reply liv_rong!

well, ive never used one mic for vocals and guitar at the same time, i guess its jsut because i dont track like that. when i record something with guitar and vocals, i would track each seperately.

i would see no reason in buying one mic for both applications though, although im sure others would disagree. but from my minimal(a few years) of experience, a decent quality condensor mic costing $100 vs. anothr mic costing $150 more is not going to sound much different, obviously all depending on how you are using it though and what you are using it with(cables, pre's, etc...)

i only bought that package because it had two good sounding mics, and its nice to have different mics for different things. i have used the large diaphram for acoustic before and it sounded good, and ive used it to mic cabs before with equal results.

im not trying to pursuade you to get that package, i was just throwing in my two cents. im sure someone else will post with some good info on some different mics. good luck!

Thanks liv_rong, I will sincerely consider that package as it does seem to be a good value. Anyone else have any other opinions? (Come on, I see 13 people viewing this section of the forums hehe).

big kenny is selling an at4040 for $180 plus fees in the fs/ft section. i bet if you grabbed that and a set of naiant msh-1's or 2's, it'd be a while before you really needed to upgrade.

big kenny is selling an at4040 for $180 plus fees in the fs/ft section. i bet if you grabbed that and a set of naiant msh-1's or 2's, it'd be a while before you really needed to upgrade.

This is a good suggestion.

What would you be plugging the mics into? Is $250 your whole budget? If so, you're going to need a preamp. Maybe pick up a used MXL V67g and a used M-Audio DMP3, or something along those lines. You should be able to put together that setup for around $250.

Now that I've gotten a few replies and I'm considering your guys' suggestions here is what I've been looking at, what're your thoughts on these: AKG Perception series, Audio Technica 3035 and some of the 40 series, MXL 2003/603s package.

Also on the case of large diaphragm vs. small diaphragm, would it be better to get just one of either 3035 or 4040 or say the AT2020 package? What advantages are their to having a small diaphragm for instrument mic'ing vs. large diaphragm? And do these mics mix well with a Fostex MR8HD from your experiences?

Thanks so much for all of the help and replies guys, I just don't want to blow a bunch of money on something that's no good!

AKG as an option ?

I've got an AKG C- 1000S (google that, you'll come up with many links) and quite frankly it's
one of the better mikes for the acoustic.. In the same time it works magic on vocals !
This mike is omnidirectional, it even recorded me going to the man's room which is 20 feet away... Yep, I know you wonder why I tried that one, but it was sort of accidental !
But our female vocalist uses this baby even on stage, and she's got a good sound comming from that..

Very important is your microphone technique.. Point this mike towards the point where neck of the guitar joins the body, about 3 feet (40 cm) away.. Then you'll get good results, at least I did with a cheap yamaha acoustic..

www.myspace.com/pinknoizeband

As far as I recall, the C1000 gets neutral press around here, for the most part. As for recording both guitar and vocals, etc., I think your best bet is the combo suggested above of a used AT4040 and some Naiant's for the guitar. The 4040 alone will most likely do well on vocals, and probably sound perfectly fine on the guitar as well (I have tracked my acoustic with just my Rode K2 and gotten great results).

Another poster also asked a good question - what are you recording into? You will need a mic preamp of some kind to power any of the condensers discussed, and I'd imagine some way of getting the sound into your computer, unless you already have an audio interface.

Also, if you really only wanted to go down the road of a single large0diaphragm condenser, I have recorded some songs with just that K2 mentioned above, placed about 2 feet away, halfway between the height of my mouth and the neck joint of the acoustic, and after some fine tuning of my own position, got nice, balanced results. The problem becomes that you are recording everything down through one mic, so you can't apply effects or processing to a single part of the equation (vocals only, guit only, etc). Of course, I did say you could get by with an LDC on acoustic alone, so you'd be all right either way. Plus, those naiant mics are like... 20-30 bucks, so I think a month or two down the line you'd be able to snag one or two and be well on your way.

Of course, this is all dependant on what you are recording into; if you are expecting to plug this mic directly into the Soundblaster card on your computer, this discussion is going to veer sharply in another direction :)

I've looked at that package before and here is the thing, I could get just one mic for that price (and higher quality than the AT2020) which I could use for both instrument and vocals, is their any reason why I wouldn't want to use a standard large diaphragm side address for mic'ing acoustic? In some of the videos of artists such as Elliott Smith recording his songs he used one mic to mic his vocals AND his acoustic guitar at the same time on one track and it sounded amazing.

So is there any reason I should get a small condenser like that AT2021 or MXL 603s? Because I just figure I could get one large diaphragm that is a bit better quality instead of getting a two mic package. Thanks so much for the quick reply liv_rong!

keep in mind that elliot smith was a fucking GENIUS and he coulda recorded onto a ghetto blaster and make it sound amazing.. again #1 is the song being recorded.. personally i find if you really listen to the stuff he did himself (not in a pro studio like xo) the recordings really aren't that great at all actually bordering on terrible.. does anyone care? of course not because the songs are too good

I am planning on recording into a Fostex MR8HD and then transferring to PC later for possibly a little bit of post production but I'm not too huge on effects, etc. mostly just songwriting; I don't have a PC in the room I'll be recording in and would like to have my "studio" more portable than a desktop PC would allow me. So I'm hearing lots of people going for the 4040 which is one that I was already looking at so I think that will be my major consideration and possibly a couple others.

Anyone have anything else to throw in?

hey started reading this thread and i read the bit about eliot smith recording both vox and guitar on one mic. this is what i wanted to do and have had some success in doing so. the mic i bought for the job was a samson C03 condenser, its easily in your price range and does what it says. of course if you had the money many would suggest something like an AKG414. the way i recorded both vox and guitar was by standing up and having the mic placed slightly lower down whilst having the guitar in a higher position.

the bass roll off switch was turned to on on the microphone and i used the cardiod pick-up pattern. the omnidirectional pickup pattern might sound nice if you want to get some more room ambience.

the reviews i have read for this mic are 50/50, but dont be put off!!! with some time and patience itll sound great!!

-dave

coming back to the op, elliot smith also used a langevin cr-3a once past his boom box days, which has a good reputation (a feilo (chinese company) manufactured mic, rebranded and qc'ed by langevin; langevin later started importing all the parts from feilo and upgrading/manufacturing the mics themselves as the cr-2001, though that mic is pretty much exactly the same as the cr-3a iirc). that's a mic that can often be had used for about $300-350. a quality mic that also looks a lot like a u-67/87.

old rode nt-2's (not nt-2a's) get a lot of love around here as do the original nt-1's.

also if you have an oktava mk-219 or 319 lying around or can get one used on the cheap, that $250 would be very well spent on the oktavamod premium electronics modifications-- you'll end up with a stellar mic that imho/ime will blow away most/all (again imho/ime) comparably priced mics.

conversely, for about the price of one b1, you could get three mca sp-1's which come recommended by jim williams of audio upgrades and which got a stellar review from terry setters (who designed chameleon labs' new line of tube mics) in the latest tapeop

i dont know why everyone is suggesting mics like the at4040 and stuff... u shud probly invest a bit in treating ur room some way otherwise pretty much any mic will sound shit.

i dont know why everyone is suggesting mics like the at4040 and stuff... u shud probly invest a bit in treating ur room some way otherwise pretty much any mic will sound shit.

I agree with this, only to a point. First and foremost, I don't think this guy owns any mics at the moment. So, he can go out and spend 100,000 dollars on an acoustically perfect recording space, and still not be able to capture shite.

Second, for 250 bucks on mics, you are going to be buying some crappy stuff if you spend a chunk of that budget on room treatment. I'd say, buy a decent mic on a trusted board like this, used, and then worry about room treatment a little ways down the road.

I record acoustic myself, and for the longest time, I had two mattresses butted into one corner of an unused room in my apartment, and I got what I consider to be very good results. Didn't sound 100% studio-grade, but it was as good a quality as I could have hoped for (clean, quite background, balanced tone), and I am rather picky about that sort of thing. Sounded like my acoustic does naturally.

So, in this rare situation, I would say go with gear first, buy something you won't be replacing once you actually do treat a little, and then worry about it when you've got a couple hundred more that you would like to spend in audio.

Alright guys, you are amazingly helpful. Cusebassman you're exactly right I have no mics at the moment and honestly (in response to Ridickolas, I can't afford to be changing my room setup right now and can deal with ambient noise and reverb more than I can having a mic with too much high end or just a cellphone type sound. So for now I am gonna go for just the mic, I am interested to hear more about that Langevin now and the Rodes also.

Now for the real kicker, we can talk all we want and talk about who likes what for ages, but is there anyone who can give me any personal sound clips from their microphones? With hopefully some acoustic mic'ing and vocal mic'ing? I know I'm asking a lot but so are Musician's Friend and eBay (if you know what I mean). If you guys can convince me of the quality of a mic over $250 I may just go for it, as it doesn't look like I can afford getting a mic this paycheck anyhow I just might have to save some more for the next round of checks. Although, no U87's guys :p.

Once again thanks so much for all of your help!

Back