Thread: Condenser Microphone captures Headphone Noise instead of my quiet voice

Thanks

Condenser Microphone captures Headphone Noise instead of my quiet voice

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a bm 800 microphone
    For some reason it always manages to capture my headphone noise (and sometimes it sounds louder than my voice)
    Is there a way to stop this?
    Im also thinking of buying a phantom power supply is that a good idea?

Thanks
    Well - the fact you are capturing anything means the mic is powered, so it's working well. If you are describing a decent enough capture but the headphone audio the singer is singing to is leaking out, and being picked up by the mic - then the solution is to swap to headphones that don't do it. What are they? Keep in mind some headphones are closed - as in the audio ONLY comes out of the seal between the pads and your head, with this seal being on the skin around your ears and NOT them sitting on your ears. Others are open back where the rear of the headphones is open to the room, and of course these leak too. Some really good headphones leak like sieves sealing and isolation are not important in the design. If you tell us the make and model, we can double check - but if the sound is escaping, the mic is not to blame for capturing it. You could try in ears - where they have a good seal between the in-ear transducer and your ear canal - they're usually very good for isolation. I suspect you just have open back headphones. When I have real problems with a very quiet voice and a loud track, I give people some drummer headphones that clamp your head like a vice, which seal really well - BUT - hurt like hell. OK for short sessions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Well - the fact you are capturing anything means the mic is powered, so it's working well. If you are describing a decent enough capture but the headphone audio the singer is singing to is leaking out, and being picked up by the mic - then the solution is to swap to headphones that don't do it. What are they? Keep in mind some headphones are closed - as in the audio ONLY comes out of the seal between the pads and your head, with this seal being on the skin around your ears and NOT them sitting on your ears. Others are open back where the rear of the headphones is open to the room, and of course these leak too. Some really good headphones leak like sieves sealing and isolation are not important in the design. If you tell us the make and model, we can double check - but if the sound is escaping, the mic is not to blame for capturing it. You could try in ears - where they have a good seal between the in-ear transducer and your ear canal - they're usually very good for isolation. I suspect you just have open back headphones. When I have real problems with a very quiet voice and a loud track, I give people some drummer headphones that clamp your head like a vice, which seal really well - BUT - hurt like hell. OK for short sessions.

Well the problem is that im in a situation with my parents
    You see
    they call me and tell me to go upstairs
    Like every 15-30 depending on the day
    So I usually have 1 pad of the headphones stuck to one ear while the other is stuck behind it
    Because if i dont run upstairs my parents are going to ground me
    It’s annoying af

Thanks
    Simple. Cut the cable that goes to one ear and listen in mono. Seriously though, if it makes a noise, the mic picks it up. It's working fine, it's the user where the issue is? Where exactly did you think the sound was going to go?

Thanks
    If you can hear the headphones' output into the mic, wouldn't you hear your parents as well, i.e., their call also getting picked up by the mic?

I'm missing something here.

P.S. Yes, you need closed back headphones to wear when tracking.

And, maybe set up a light for your parents to signal with if you are recording?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    You also said you were thinking about buying a phantom power supply. Why?

The BM-800 will work plugged straight into the 3.5mm jack of most laptops. It will also work plugged into an 'XLR' mic socket on say a mixer IF the mixer delivers 48 volts of phantom power but does not help you with computer recording. What you need is an 'Audio Interface'. These devices have XLR connectors (always get one with at least two) for mics and supply the 48V. The AI connects to the laptop via USB.

Brands include, (in no particular order) Focustrte, Tascam, Zoom, Behringer and prices start at less than $50 US but I strongly suggest you look at $100 as your minimum.

In any event, I have bought phantom PSUs in the past and the market is fraught, i.e. some are next to useless crap. I have also bought two BM-800 mics and been lucky that mine worked tolerably well but even so they are noisier than a dynamic and a decent AI.

Dave.

Thread Information