Condenser or Dynamic?

lostluvr86

I'm totally new to the whole home-recording thing, so I have a quick question.
I read the descriptions of both types of microphones, but I'm still unsure of which kind to purchase.
I need a mic to record both vocals and instruments (most likely just guitar), so which type should I go for?
I only have the budget to buy one type.
Also, it you have any links for good mics that could do both, please post them!

Condenser mics require phantom power. Dynamics don't. Condensers are much more sensitive than dynamics. Cheaper condensers tend to have some high end hype. Good condensers are usually much more expensive than good dynamics.

Now I'll bet you think I'm gonna recommend a dynamic, huh?

If I were just starting out, and could only have one mic for vocals and guitar (I'm assuming you're talking about acoustic guitar) I'd get as decent a condenser as I could with my budget.

While I use dynamics for tons of stuff--and have some that see more use than any of my condensers, I'm recording a bit of everything. But acoustics are always with condensers, and vocals are half the time. So given your parameters, I would choose a condenser to cover those tasks first.

Of the two, I'd say condenser, but if you're only buying one mic for vocals and guitar, it's going to be a pretty big compromise on both. For guitar, you'd ideally want a small diaphragm condenser, probably omni. For voice, you'd ideally want a large diaphragm condenser, probably not omni.... :)

You might consider a phantom-powered ribbon mic, e.g. the new Nady RSM-8A, a.k.a. the Nady Active Studio Ribbon Mic.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=NADRSM8A&id=NADRSM8A&l=FROOGLE

When you say guitar....do you mean Acoustic? Or are you looking to mic and electric guitar cab? I'm gonna assume acoustic. If you're just starting out, I'd agree with these guys and say definitely go with a condenser. Personally, I'd go with a Large Diaphragm Condenser for a few reasons:
- Good for Vocals
- Nice to just place in the center of a room and record a jam session (couple people with acoustic instruments or quiet drums...) in order to get ideas down
- Will decently record an acoustic guitar if placed correctly (and if you're just starting out it will probably sound AMAZING to you ears...haha, at least it did when I got my first condenser)

Personally I got an AKG Perception 200 when it was on sale at Musician's Friend for $100...not sure how much it normally is, but it's treated me well. I get really crisp, clean audio.

As was mentioned before, the condensers require phantom power. If you have a mixer or some sort of firewire interface, that will probably be provided. Otherwise, check out the ART Tube Preamps. I've heard good things, they provide phantom power, and they're $30 :)

How do you plan to get the audio into your computer?

Last edited:
By record, do you mean just in your home studio? Or live at a gig and all that jazz?

Dynamics are generally favored on stage. Rear and side rejection so no to little feedback from outward facing on stage speakers. Condensers tend to pick up more detail, which can be flattering, or NOT. Depending on the source and room.

Personally I got an AKG Perception 200 when it was on sale at Musician's Friend for $100...not sure how much it normally is, but it's treated me well. I get really crisp, clean audio.

As was mentioned before, the condensers require phantom power. If you have a mixer or some sort of firewire interface, that will probably be provided. Otherwise, check out the ART Tube Preamps. I've heard good things, they provide phantom power, and they're $30 :)

How do you plan to get the audio into your computer?

Aren't most mics able to hook up to the computer?
I don't want to buy one, then find I can't even hook it up.

Also, I checked out the AKG Perception and it's discontinued, the only place to get it is ebay, which I'm not so sure I want to risk buying a used mic.

I'm thinking this looks good, but I don't really want to purchase anything without asking someone who knows this stuff
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--STUB1
I would still need one of those ART Tube Preamps, correct?
And as for the hookup (3-pin XLR) my brother has an adapter for it.

Balanced vs Unbalanced

And as for the hookup (3-pin XLR) my brother has an adapter for it.

When you say adaptor, you don't mean to change it from a balanced to unbalanced connector do you? It's amazing how bad a good mic will sound if you do that. I ran across a friend who had some old Shure 515SB's with the cords adapted down to unbalanced 1/4" TS jacks. We rewired it back to a balanced XLR and what a difference.

Of course, if that's not what you meant, disregard what I just said....:rolleyes:

When you say adaptor, you don't mean to change it from a balanced to unbalanced connector do you? It's amazing how bad a good mic will sound if you do that. I ran across a friend who had some old Shure 515SB's with the cords adapted down to unbalanced 1/4" TS jacks. We rewired it back to a balanced XLR and what a difference.

Of course, if that's not what you meant, disregard what I just said....:rolleyes:

No, it's good that you said that!
I didn't know it could ruin it, I'll have to find out what kind he has.
I'm pretty sure it's balanced though and if it's not, I can always buy one.
They can't be TOO expensive...

Back