Color Me Good? Color Me Bad?

Xochi

So what is coloring good or bad concerning large condencer vocal mics?

How bout this.
Lets say your a singer and you dont sing so good, would you want color?
Now lets say your a singer and you sing great, would you want flatness or would color make you sound even better or worse?
This color thing is getting really annoying. See! Theres even racism amongs microphones!
Thank you.

Color me bad were a very embarassing precursor to the modern-day boy bands, having penned such forgettable late-80's croonings such as "I want to sex you up" and "Me amore'"

Please don't remind us.

Anyway, the beauty of it all is that it's a matter of taste. Asking us this question on a forum doesn't do a lot of good, because it's something you have to hear and judge for yourself. Kind of like if you were color blind, and you came here asking us what blue looks like. :)

Anyway, everyone's taste is going to differ. I happen to prefer less color if the singer is really good, simply because I don't want to take any chances on mucking anything up. If the singer sucks, then first I'll get them really drunk and . . . ha ha. Well, at least if the mic or preamp has some interesting color, I figure at least the tracks will have that going for them.

:D I once tracked a singer who scarfed down a hamburger and fries, then got drunk one hour before he layed vocal tracks. I think that way he had an excuse as to why he sounded so bad.
Anyway, He would have sounded much better if we wasn't such a "Saba-tour"

I figured that it would be a matter of taste while I wrote the thread. I thought that perhaps some mics have a distinct sound. The way a Strat is distinguishable from a Les Paul.

Actually that's a good analogy..

What you're asking is much like asking which is better, a Strat or a Les Paul? It depends on what you like in what situations. Or, using the analogy of color, it's like saying which is better, a red shirt or a blue shirt? And, much like clothes color, a color that's good on one person, might not be so good on someone else. Now, if you have a specific situation, such as a singer who has a nasally kind of voice, and you're looking for a mic that tends to color the sound in such a way as to minimize this, then that's different. But there is no universally applicable "Color is good" or Color is bad". Just keep hanging out here and read everything, whether you think it applies to you or not, and you'll catch on quick.

Back