Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cloudlifter with Shure Beta 57A?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
    Here are two quick videos shot just running the Yamaha straight into my iPhone. Only effects used are the ones built into the board. Guitar is not plugged in. Vocals and guitar are both coming from only the microphones. AKG c214 (you can see in video) is pointed more towards my face picking up mostly vocals but quit a bit of the guitar. The Beta 57a is pointed at the 12th fret and is really just supplying some fullness to the guitar sound. The first video is with a pick and the second is fingerpicked.
    Have you tried it with the Beta on your voice, a little closer to your face, angled up, and the AKG on the guitar, angled down slightly, i.e., trying to get the "nulls" of the mics' pickup patterns aimed more in the direction of what you don't want picked up?

I did some recordings using a dynamic mic on my vocals and my C214 on guitar and thought it worked well in that situation.

And, I know it can be hot in those little home recording spaces, but TURN OFF THE CEILING FAN! Practice with it on, but when you get ready to record, turn it off.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Hahaha! That fan!! Yeah, that was just a quick recording testing sound.

Funny thing is I hear the fan when I have the headphones on, but I hear it so much I really don't "hear" it! Hahaha! Even funnier is I had the headphones on and was in the middle of something and my son came busting through the door and scared the crap out of me because it was loud in the headphones. Hahaha!

Thanks
    If you decide to still get an inline mic booster the Triton FetHead is also worth considering and a bit more budget friendly than the Cloudlifter. I use a FetHead with an SM7b, RE20, and a couple other low output dynamic mics as well a cheap MXL ribbon mic. It works well and gives a clean quiet boost. It can be attached directly to most mics and eliminates the need for an extra cable.
    Mark.......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have a Shure SM7b that I was needing to get a booster for anyway. I had been looking at the FetHead and wondering how it stacked up against the Cloudlifter. Read some reviews and found most all of them favorable. The price difference is definitely enough to justify it.

Thanks
    its a good sound, I think its working... the guitar and whatever your doing has improved over your earlier takes.
    like Keith said on the vocals...but its sounding more polished and pleasent to my ears vs the older SM7b videos..

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks

C451 vs. SM81

Quote Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
    I have never heard of the Cathedral Pipes Durham, I will have to check that out! Is the 451 the c451 B? Have you had any experience comparing the 451 and the SM81?
    I did a test on acoustic guitar a couple of months ago with a variety of SDCs. I used the C451 EB with a CK1 capsule and an SM81. The 451 is a bit brighter than the SM81. If you look at the curves from the manufacturers, the frequency response of the SM81 is ruler flat, while the 451 with the CK1 capsule has about a 4db boost about 4 kHz. Listening tests confirmed that. Both microphones sounded extremely nice. I've used SM81s on acoustic guitars since I bought my first pair, over 35 years ago. But I often found myself giving the high end a little boost.

Thread Information