cloudlifter help !!

mrNobody

hiya,

i have a audio technica 2035 XLR connected to my focusrite solo gen 2.

the problem is i bought a cloudlifter connected it up and im getting no sound at all? i read that the cloudlifter doesnt pass through the phantom power? so my mic isnt getting the power it needs...what do i need to do?

thanks for your help!

MR N

- Correct, it does not pass phantom power and the mic will not work.
- You don't/shouldn't need a Cloudlifter or any other 'gain booster' with an AT 2035 or other similar condenser microphone. The Focusrite Solo has adequate gain for that mic and other condensers like it.
- You can use the Cloudlifter with dynamic mics if you should get one.

hiyas thanks for the fast reply and helpful info!

the problem was when i use my mic i have to put the gain on max on the solo for people to hear me clearly, and because its on max it crackles / makes off noises.
would a dynamic mic be better then the mic i have? if so can i ask for some suggestions :)

i do twitch streams and some podcasts / discord discussions

MR N

the problem was when i use my mic i have to put the gain on max on the solo for people to hear me clearly

Your mic gain is not intended to be a headphone/speaker monitor volume control...it's for setting the correct record level. :)
If people can't hear you...you need to boost your track output and/or the headphone level output for your vocal track...and/or turn down the other tracks.

Your mic gain is not intended to be a headphone/speaker monitor volume control...it's for setting the correct record level. :)
If people can't hear you...you need to boost your track output and/or the headphone level output for your vocal track...and/or turn down the other tracks.

well most things are already set to max, just say im on discord my mic level is set to 100% "all noise suppression etc off"

maybe time for a new mic lol

well most things are already set to max, just say im on discord my mic level is set to 100% "all noise suppression etc off"

- Where is the Focusrite Solo gain knob set to get the green ring around that knob to light up? 10, 11, 12, 1 o'clock or other?
- With the gain setting you've been using is the ring going red?
- Using Focusrite drivers or are you somehow going through the computers OS which may have a gain/volume control that is limiting what gets to your software?
- Unless the AT2035 is not working correctly, its sensitivity is typical of other similar condenser mics, so a new mic would not be a fix.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.

The signal you need for recording has nothing to do with how loud you hear things on the monitors or in your headphones for the mix.

You said that no one can hear you.
I'm sure the microphone and interface arte providing more than enough *recording* level.
If you can't hear that track as loud as the other tracks with your monitors...then it's very possible you are cranking the other tracks way to hot.

If the mix balance is good, but you can't heart your vocals loud enough in the headphone when recording more tracks...that's an issue with your headphone cue mix, and again, you most likely have to adjust the output of the other tracks so the balance is good with the vocals, and then raise the overall output of your headphones.

You appear to be trying to control mix balance in the monitors or the headphones by increasing the gain at the front end for the mic and interface
That's NOT how you do it....but don't feel bad, most people these days seem to have a problem with the whole recording gain/level, mix balance, monitor level and/or headphone mix level thing. Seems like everyone thinks you fix the final mix/monitor levels by simply increasing the front end record levels....but no, that's not it.

The AT mic is well known for being pretty hot, output wise - not remotely a low output mic. When you record, what does the waveform look like - a proper one using up most of the available space, or just a tiny wiggly line? I'm wondering if something is actually wrong here? When the mic is plugged in and you are recording - does the gain knob surround light up flashy green, nearly solid green or red?

MrNobody, most of the "pros" (I am NOT one! Just tekky valve amp jockey rtd) work to what they call "Unity Gain". That does not mean NO gain just that all the sources to an AI are usually brought to a common level and that is around -18dBfs (0dBfs is the top of the DAW meters).

The point here is, you set the gain of the mic pre to deliver -18dBfs and the ring LED meters on the AI should stay green, never red. (I don't have a fancy pants 2i2 so I assume that's what happens?)

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

MrNobody, most of the "pros" (I am NOT one! Just tekky valve amp jockey rtd) work to what they call "Unity Gain". That does not mean NO gain just that all the sources to an AI are usually brought to a common level and that is around -18dBfs (0dBfs is the top of the DAW meters).

The point here is, you set the gain of the mic pre to deliver -18dBfs and the ring LED meters on the AI should stay green, never red. (I don't have a fancy pants 2i2 so I assume that's what happens?)

Oh ***T!! It had been working SO well for days.

Dave.

Last edited:
Back