Cloudlifter CL-1

6 inches away is ok.

You dont need to be in clipping- territory. Thats ok and normal, actually with low output mics I get my interface preamp at about FULL and get -18db to -12db signals on the DAW meters.

Having the Cloudlifter helps if you use a SM57,58, SM7 then the gain can be 50%-60% and get bigger waves, -12 ..-6db easiy.

This is for spoken word type sound sources, not snare drums and screaming Slipknot vocals.

Condensors mics like SM86, KSM27,32,KSM44 wont work with the Cloudlifter.
If you mentioned 'don't need to be clipping' in response to my post, I only intended it to show that the mic was able to put out levels that were adequate enough for the 2i2 and that additional gain from a CL was not needed.

From Cloudlifter's site FAQ, so supposedly would/might work, but shouldn't be needed ......

"Can I use a Cloudlifter with powered mics such as condensers?
Condenser microphones typically have a higher output and may not require a Cloudlifter, however they can be used if a dedicated external power supply or battery is powering the mic since the Clloudlifter will use the phantom power to produce the extra gain."

Service | cloudmicrophones

Thanks for your help with this BTW. Test mp3 attached 6 inches from mic with gain full (should it HAVE to be turned up full?).

Attachments

• untitled.mp3
    782.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for your help with this BTW. Test mp3 attached 6 inches from mic with gain full (should it HAVE to be turned up full?).

Are you using the Focusrite drivers and have the Focusrite 2i2 selected as the input source in your DAW similar to the image below

Attachments

• 2i2 asio.jpg
    2i2 asio.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
Are you using the Focusrite drivers and have the Focusrite 2i2 selected as the input source in your DAW similar to the image below

Yes I updated the drivers a ew days ago on the Focusrite website and here's my audacity screenshot

---------- Update ----------

Do you think the audio level is low then?

Attachments

• Audacity.jpg
    Audacity.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 8
Yes I updated the drivers a ew days ago on the Focusrite website and here's my audacity screenshot

---------- Update ----------

Do you think the audio level is low then?

Audacity can not use the Focusrite ASIO drivers or any ASIO drivers due to copyright restrictions. I'm not 100% sure the 2i2 drivers are ASIO either or they handle the audio some other way. You might somehow be going through the Windows audio or your motherboard audio which may be have a volume/gain control in its audio system. The two shown below have gotten me messed up on occasion. Win7 audio settings for recording and the ASUS audio settings.

You still didn't mention the LED ring around the gain control and if you can drive that into the red.

It's low compared to what I normally hear of other mp3's. I usually end up normalizing/boosting the audio I record in Audacity.

Attachments

• win7 audio.jpg
    win7 audio.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 6
  • asus audio.jpg
    asus audio.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
Another screenshot and an mp3 clip. Tascam interface at full gain. Tascam doesn't not use ASIO drivers. Mic was a dynamic with the same sensitivity as your SM86. No processing on the clip

Attachments

• tascam levels 2.jpg
    tascam levels 2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 7
  • weather.mp3
    221.6 KB · Views: 7
  • tascam levels.jpg
    tascam levels.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 5
If my lips touch the mic and I'm not quite it goes into the red. If I strum a guitar (not quietly) it goes into the red. If I talk from 6 inches away or fingerpick guitar it wont go into the red.

Ableton can use the 2i2 ASIO driver and since your levels appear to be better it's likely it's what it's using.

The statement "Using Ableton give deafening levels" tell me that, once again a newb is not using a systematic and logical approach to the whole 'recording/gain staging/playback system.

That system STARTS with the output and the actual SOUND you hear, be it on speakers or cans (the latter makes things trickier) Listen ffs to people speaking in rooms. If possible record someone reading text then compare the level from your monitors to that person. Most people, most of the time play things back too loudly.

The ABSOLUTE level of sound affects the quality, the frequency response you hear (Equal Loudness Contours) Listen on your system to some QUALITY speech, not YT ***t. You may not have access to the quality and consistency of BBC R4 but I would think most national "talk" radio stations are pretty good.

So, please fritter £20 on a sound level meter (if you have speakers) and set things up such that Pink noise replayed at -20dBfs gives you about 83dB at your listening point. That will actually be too loud for most people in most rooms but mark that a then back off the monitor pots 10dB or so and mark that. Important you see that you listen at a consistent level all the time. "Flying by the seat of you pants" means you are likely to crash into the cliff of distortion or ditch in the valley of noise...KNOW where TF you are!

Attached is a sample of the mic pres on the KA6. They do not have enough gain for a dynamic at 200mm to hit -20dB fs so that clip is boosted by 10dB. You can hear the desktop whine!

Dave.

Attachments

• KA6 pres max sont and behrry boosted01.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
Im interested in the cloudlifter too. This maybe me being ignorant, but my belief is it changes phantom power to gain. So first you would have to ensure the phantom power on the interface is on, then the lifter would convert it to signal gain. Im interesred in using it to add gain for my dynamics mic only.

Im interested in the cloudlifter too. This maybe me being ignorant, but my belief is it changes phantom power to gain. So first you would have to ensure the phantom power on the interface is on, then the lifter would convert it to signal gain. Im interesred in using it to add gain for my dynamics mic only.

That's true, but it's kind of a funny way to describe it. It's an amplifier that runs on phantom power.

I think a better way to describe it is a preamp, than an amplifier., but ibsm a newbe for sure.

IF'n we are going to get picky about it, it is really a a PRE, preamplifier!

But HEY it's Christmas day! Good will to All Men an all tha swaddllin'!

I bought a Fet Head a couple of weeks ago, not had a chance to evaluate it yet.

Dave.

Back