Cloudlifter CL-1

woldsweather

I was getting such low volume levels with my Shure SM86 and Scarlett 2i2 interface eventually the mic went back to Shure. It came back nothing wrong with it. I took focusrites advice and got the CL1 and have gone from low levels without the CLq to ...silence....nothing. Yes phantom power is on the 2i2. There don't seem to be many controls I can try. cables new - no I have no spares to try and can't image they are faulty.

I believe the Cloudlifter CL-1 blocks phantom so it can't be used with condensers unless they are battery powered.

I'm surprised that the SM86 has such low output. Condensers usually have higher output than dynamics.

I believe the Cloudlifter CL-1 blocks phantom so it can't be used with condensers unless they are battery powered.

I'm surprised that the SM86 has such low output. Condensers usually have higher output than dynamics.
I've got a couple handheld condensers that run about 3.5 mv/PA. I wonder if the thought is that it's a live use mic the sensitivity can be lower since it's used close to the mouth? The pencil SDC's I have are up around 11-15 mv/PA

You are implying SM86 is a condenser mic. Focusrites words were that Dynamic mic like the SM86 require something like the CL1 to boost volume.

Yes, there are quite a few of these low sensitivity 'performers' capacitor mics around now.

The advantages are a wider, flatter bandwidth than a dynamic, more 'Hi Fi' if you like and that smoother response can help resist feedback. The sensitivity has to be low. One to allow very close working and two, to stop them blasting the front end of PA mixers!

But, with 6dB more level than a 57/58 I am surprised the OP is having trouble recording with a 2i2. What are you recording chap and how?

Dave.

No I bought a 48v phantom power supply for the SM86. The config is now SM86>Power supply>CL1>2i2 There is no difference in levels. If I remove the CL1 from the config above then nothing changes re sound recording levels.

Interesting, SM86 is a SDC...had never really heard of that one. decade older now.
SM86 condenser mic.

just a guess...but you arent using a 2 conductor 1/4" mic cable by any chance are you?

Shure SM86 > XLR 3wire cable> 2i2 with phantom power ON> 2i2 setup for Mic IN > volume UP....headphones plugged in..

(You probably need to get the Cloudlifter out of the loop..remove it...return it if using the SM86)

Attachments

• SM86.png
    SM86.png
    681.5 KB · Views: 7
Interesting, SM86 is a SDC...had never really heard of that one. decade older now.
SM86 condenser mic.

just a guess...but you arent using a 2 conductor 1/4" mic cable by any chance are you?

Shure SM86 > XLR 3wire cable> 2i2 with phantom power ON> 2i2 setup for Mic IN > volume UP....headphones plugged in..

(You probably need to get the Cloudlifter out of the loop..remove it...return it if using the SM86)

I was recommended the CL-1 by Focusrite who make the 2i2.

Yes but not with the SM86....it wont work.

Try a SM58 and a CL-1 then into the 2i2 should be fine.

Cloudlifter works with Dynamic and Ribbon mics.

Cloudlifter doesnt work with Condensor mics, as several posted above.

I was getting such low volume levels with my Shure SM86 and Scarlett 2i2 interface eventually the mic went back to Shure. It came back nothing wrong with it.

Can we establish what low volume levels are to you?
Often people expect to plug in in a microphone and make a recording that's comparable in perceived volume to some podcast they heard, or other commercial release.
In reality a raw voice recording is going to substantially quieter than that, even if the peaks are up close to 0.

Can you attach a clip of your recorded voice?

Often people expect to plug in in a microphone and make a recording that's comparable in perceived volume to some podcast they heard, or other commercial release.
In reality a raw voice recording is going to substantially quieter than that, even if the peaks are up close to 0.

That ^ I have been making a lot of voice tests lately with reference to people asking about "streaming" or podcasting.

The reality is with a decent pre amp (in an A&H zed 10 mixer) feeding the rear line inputs of a very good, if not state of art AI, the NI KA6, speaking at 200mm from the mics gives me around -20dBfs and a noise floor of -60dB fs (I.E. a bloody good tape machine!) most of which noise is 'room ambience.'

That S/N ratio is fine for most tasks but the absolute level would I think be too low for podders?

So yes, we need a clip but PLEASE don't post a link to YT! We (at least I don't) know what machinations have been done to the clip to put it there. Best method for me is a raw, i.e. straight out of the DAW export as MP3 320k attached.

Dave.

Yes I was recommended the CL-1 by Focusrite:

AJ Fructuoso (Focusrite )
7 Jul 2020, 20:18 BST
Hello Trevor,

My colleague is currently unavailable, but my name is AJ, and I can help you from here on their behalf. Thank you for your patience in awaiting our response.

Dynamic Microphones, such as the Shure SM86, have naturally low output levels, and will need the use of Mic activators such as the CL-1 Cloudlifter in order to give the signal clean gain, suitable for recording purposes.

Keeping this in mind, there is no indication of any defects with your preamps. We recommend that you test your device with condenser microphones, which provide cleaner, stronger signal.

Let us know if you have any questions or see any further issues. We'll be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
AJ Fructuoso // Focusrite Technical Support Engineer
focusrite.com | novationmusic.com | pro.focusrite.com | ampifymusic.com

By low I'm meaning that turning gain to full on the 2i2 does not cause clipping.

---------- Update ----------

How close to the mic should I be to do a test? (By clipping I am meaning the green halo on the 2i2 gain dial turning red.

In the message it said "dynamic mics like the sm86..." the sm86 is not a dynamic Mic. The focusrite guy messed up. The cl-1 will not work.

If you can speak/sing into the mic at a close distance without the Cloudlifter and increase the gain on the 2i2 so the red ring around the gain control illuminates (indicates clipping) you likely have adequate signal.

I just tried this with a dynamic mic with a similar sensitivity (output level 3.1 mv/PA) into an old Tascam interface which would have gain equal or less than the 2i2. I could get the red clip light to flicker on, thus the mic had enough output to achieve proper levels.

6 inches away is ok.

You dont need to be in clipping- territory. Thats ok and normal, actually with low output mics I get my interface preamp at about FULL and get -18db to -12db signals on the DAW meters.

Having the Cloudlifter helps if you use a SM57,58, SM7 then the gain can be 50%-60% and get bigger waves, -12 ..-6db easiy.

This is for spoken word type sound sources, not snare drums and screaming Slipknot vocals.

Condensors mics like SM86, KSM27,32,KSM44 wont work with the Cloudlifter.

Back