Clip-on Mics (DPAs, Sony, Sennheiser) into Headset mics for drummers

goldfish

Ok, So I'm thinking of making a few headsets for drummers with small mics in them so that they can sing whilst playing live. My first creation was simply a coathanger with a lot of PVC insulating tape (of varying colours!) a bit of surgical bandage and tape for padding and a Sennheiser mic which i cant seem to identify (got from a company that does sound for musicals). I've got an adaptor cable from Simm 2 to XLR, and it runs off 48V Phantom power. I've used these in Live situations to GREAT suceess... in fact they were better than the in-house mics that the rest of the band were using :p hehe.

But anyway, I was wondering what would be the best mic to use on one of these "custom" headsets? I guess it needs to be fairyl sweat resistant (drummers get sweaty!) and resistant to pops and not TOO sensitive (as they'll be behind a drumkit), and obviously not too expensive either. I do have a few of my own but I'd rather not use them and sell them to other people as I dont know what model they are or how much they're worth. And also I dont know how good they are in certain situations either.

The object is to make these as cheap and good quality as possible, since if they could afford a headset mic why bother! I think that I could make one with just as good quality sound as any of the professional ones without charging greatly for the headset part (they are so easy to make its not funny!)

BTW my design has now evolved slightly to a coathanger covered in a preliminary layer of shrink wrap, bent and formed, and then I'll put the mic onto it and put a final (larger) bit of shrink wrap over top to secure it, with maybe some bandage around the ear rests for comfort.

Any thoughts are welcome!

I own the Shure SM10a (?), and it is a nice mic in every way, except it has virtually no output. I think it produces 0.5mV or some such teenie number.

The few times I've used it, I had to crank the PA channel all the way up to stay equal with the SM58 on the other folks. It also has a cable, and this generally sux.

IMO, a headset should also be wireless. Look elsewhere than Shure. Mine is going back out onto eBay.

Back