Cheap and Decent?

HomelessDave

I've got an MXL-990 that I'm using with and M-Audio Mobile Pre USB. I'm recording hip-hop/R&B tracks in my closet. The 990, my first mic, may have been the best $50 I've ever spent. :D

Still, I aspire for better things in life. Any suggestions for cheap ($<150) and decent (MXL-990 or better) mics for a closet rapper? :confused:

might want to invest in a better preamp/soundcard... i've gotten some stellar results on *some* sources using the mxl990. then again, i have no idea what the hip hop crowd is looking for in terms of sound quality these days...

HomelessDave said:
I've got an MXL-990 that I'm using with and M-Audio Mobile Pre USB. I'm recording hip-hop/R&B tracks in my closet. The 990, my first mic, may have been the best $50 I've ever spent. :D

Still, I aspire for better things in life. Any suggestions for cheap ($<150) and decent (MXL-990 or better) mics for a closet rapper? :confused:

Perhaps an MXL V67G ($99.00) or a Studio Projects B1 ($99.00) or a CAD M177 ($120.00?)...

chessrock said:
I think it's time for you to come out of the closet, Dave.

:D I'm sorry. I couldn't resist that one.

I don't think this thread would work without that comment.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I'm working on the soundcard too in the computer forum.

I haven't heard the 990 yet, but in this price range I wouldn't expect dramatic increases in quality.

I've used the v67g, SP B1. The 990 is a 3/4" diaphram and the others are 1" so you'll definately get different sounds out of them.

Anyway, the hip hoppers at work love the SP B1. It got stolen almost right away. They do like the v67g, but its to ugly to get stolen... no one complains about the sound, though.

Take care,
Chris

Back