changes to great river preamp and "mercenary special editions"

wes480

I always see these "special for mercenary" editions of products...

like the Great River Neve-like preamp...the NV. Whats the deal with that, guys from Merc helped them design it?

Anyways, I posted this basically same question in "the rack"...but, I wanted Harvey to see it possibly..because I know you know a lot about great river.

on merc audio it says:

"Improvements coming to the GREAT RIVER ELECTRONICS MP-2MH.
The MP-2MH will get many of the 'ergonomic' features of the MP-2NV sometime in 2002 or 2003, (depends how much time Dan spends designing, and how much time he spends drinking on his boat)"

they are selling the MP-2MH now...but, i assume it isn't the improved version...or, they would say that.

its $1750...is there any reason to wait (esp until 2003!) for the new one? It doesn't even sound like there is going to be an improvement in sound.

I'd really like to get the great river in August...so, just wondering if I should plan on waiting indefinately for it...or proceed with the "great river savings jar"

I figure, if c7sus gets his cactus...I get my great river! hehe. hrmm...between the cactus and the great river...that's not a bad signal chain. Run that sucker into a Delta1010 ;)

-Wes

Fletcher has a very good ear and he usually comes up with good suggestions on how to improve a product. The original MP-2 (which I have) does not have a transformer balanced output. Fletcher suggested that Dan add that as a feature, while Hank Aldrich suggested adding two 1/4 outputs that did not go thru the transformer and the MP-2MH was born.

The MP-2NV was a collaboration of Fletcher suggesting some of the features and Dan doing the design work. I believe Fletcher also loaned Dan some outstanding examples of the Neve 1073 so that Dan could get the sound right.

Fletcher also came up with some neat new features for the Drawmer 1960 (which was in serious need of an overhaul anyway) and that is known as the Drawmer 1969.

c7 - hey babe....i am movin back in with the rents.

Starvation is over, and I just got a new job for 8..count 'em 8 bucks an hour.

Estimated $ per month to throw around on gear = $1500

I'm gonna keep that up until Christmas :)

I dunno about converter...using my Aardvark Q10...it seems like it would be tough to use more than 1 mic at a time even with the Lucid 9624 or something. You know about that?

Harvey - thank you very much for the quick response...that clears up a lot...except for the question - are there new improvements coming to the Mp2-MH? Or, are they all done now? I guess I could just call Fletcher and ask him...heh. I'd like to buy the unit now...but, if there are more things coming...then I could wait.

This is just speculation on my part, but I expect the NV transformer loading switch, the fine trim pot, and the NV metering will be likely candidates for improving the MH.

Harvey-

I posted something similar in "The Rack", and Dan Kennedy himself responded to it, who knew. hehe.

He said October at the earliest

(I read "as early as October!")

for the updated version.

thanks as always.

Back