Capsule type for mics for large Choir (children) recording (K67 or K47 type)

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Hello,

I've never done this before.

Recording a fairly large (100 or so) choir. I also don't have the right set if mics, but am acquiring enough parts to build a bunch of fairly basic but useful tube mics (U47 type circuit) which will be done in time.

I can't facilitate overhead sdc's so thought Blumlein pair, 1/3 to 1/2 the room back.

Here is the technical question:

The K67 (knock offs...) have a significant hf boost. However, for this purpose, recording at a distance, it would seem to be advantageous to have that HF boost? (Although for a childrens' choir that may not be as much of an issue.)

Am I totally missing something? (Or should I invest in a pair of ribbons?)

Aside for microphone selection and placement You have to greatly figure in what ROOM your going to record in. ;)

I'm stuck with the the room which is a pretty basic small auditorium, designed like a ballroom, with linoleum floor, a high wooden ceiling, windows on either side. I am not sure, given the size of the choir, if there will be a stage used or not. I'm a little worried about the 'room ambience' I'll get.

If the windows have curtains close them, stops the glass reflecting and helps keep out a little outside noise.

If you have any rugs around have them handy to put down but not under the Choir around the outside. Try to suss out if the room would sound better if the choir was in a different place within the hall (only works if it is not a live show as well) as sometimes setting them up diagonally across the room may work better then across an end.

If you can use the stage check out if they have heavy stage curtains that you can close behind the choir, I would have them closed even if the stage was not used as it will kill off the reflection at one end of the hall.

Having said all of this, the hall could sound great if it was designed properly for live performance, in the end you can only use what you have to work with.

Alan.

Thanks Alan.

I'll be at there this weekend to provide some background piano music and can check it out. I can't remember if there are curtains or not.

Back