Can I successfully record my soprano voice with Focusrite 2i2 3rd generation studio?

I dropped your MP3 into Samplitude ProX 3 Rich and found much the same result as before.

This time I used my 'studio' desktop ( Asus, 6 core 3g AMD) and the onboard sound card was disabled and all the audio ran through my KA6 with ASIO drivers. I always have all effects off on all my machines.

The screenshots show the level still hits 0dBfs (didn't quite catch Prntsc in Sam) both in Samplitude and Audacity. Not shown but Adobe Audition 1.5 does the same.
There is also the same drop in level in mono and the piano tone changes.

I shall try your YT 'grabber'.

Dave.

Attachments

• ssht daria yt.png
    ssht daria yt.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Aud yt peak.png
    Aud yt peak.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 8
I just paste the link into one of the tools in VLC.

Media -> Convert/Save -> Network -> paste link, select parameters

Last edited:
Yes, I have installed the downloader and got Daria's track but I see in VLC that there are settings for audio levels as well, can we be sure it is as the original.

Daria, you are probably fed up with all this tekky nonsense! But, could you just post the original sound tracks as an MP3 and attach it please?

Dave.

I agree that the my extracted file hits almost to 0dBFS. Reaper reported the peak at -0.7dB. However that's only a couple of places. Most of it was well below that.

The file Daria and Piano OR.mp3 that you posted looks very compressed by comparison. Is that the correct file? I threw both into Audacity. Your file is on top, mine on the bottom. The bottom looks like what you have in the pic above.

Audibly, the top file sounds VERY compressed, The piano sounds almost as loud at the beginning as the vocal at full song. I lined the files up and flipped between them and they don't sound anything alike, yet you can tell they are of the same performance. All very strange considering we are supposed to be coming from the same source file.

In any case, She's gotten me to listen to more opera in the past week than I had in the past 5 years!!!!! That counts for something, right? (I'm guessing Tommy doesn't really count as an opera, does it :D)

BTW, BoulderSound

I tried what you posted in VLC but it didn't bring anything down. Does VLC read Youtube files directly? I tried it that way as well, and it just went FLICK and was back at VLC with an empty screen.

Attachments

• Daria Ganymed  Audacity.jpg
    Daria Ganymed Audacity.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 4
I agree that the my extracted file hits almost to 0dBFS. Reaper reported the peak at -0.7dB. However that's only a couple of places. Most of it was well below that.

The file Daria and Piano OR.mp3 that you posted looks very compressed by comparison. Is that the correct file? I threw both into Audacity. Your file is on top, mine on the bottom. The bottom looks like what you have in the pic above.

Audibly, the top file sounds VERY compressed, The piano sounds almost as loud at the beginning as the vocal at full song. I lined the files up and flipped between them and they don't sound anything alike, yet you can tell they are of the same performance. All very strange considering we are supposed to be coming from the same source file.

In any case, She's gotten me to listen to more opera in the past week than I had in the past 5 years!!!!! That counts for something, right? (I'm guessing Tommy doesn't really count as an opera, does it :D)

BTW, BoulderSound

I tried what you posted in VLC but it didn't bring anything down. Does VLC read Youtube files directly? I tried it that way as well, and it just went FLICK and was back at VLC with an empty screen.

I certainly did not use any compression on any of the files. What is there must be a consequence of the internal soundcard being set to maximum. I had always assumed that this was a default 'unity' gain setting and I am pretty sure it used to be? I have not tried playing the file on my older HP W7 laptop will do that soon and in IE11 not Firefox.

Can't trust nuffin anymore!!

Dave.

BTW, BoulderSound

Yeah, it's not working for me either at the moment.

I cannot get Audacity nor Samplitude to record 'Stereo Mix' from the YT video using this W7 i3 laptop. But then in Sounds "Stereo Mix" is listed as default recorder but marked "not available"?

I must investigate that last because I am bloody sure I recorded sound off the net that way a couple of months ago!

Dave.

Youtube has shown a propensity to change things in their file download formats. I've had various Youtube plugins over the years that would just stop working because Youtube changed something. I finally gave up on the plugin route and went to this external program. It's been pretty solid, and every time Youtube breaks it, they issue an updated version to fix it back. A bit of cat and mouse it seems!

VLC's convert function is pretty foolproof. I've converted files that I had posted on Youtube and compared to the original and don't hear any real differences. I just set it for 256 or 320K, make sure that all the filters under the audio codec tab are clear and hit start. Two program that I couldn't do without are VLC and Irfanview. Quick, simple and functional is what its all about.

Hi!

I uploaded another video on Youtube.

I am uploading there because the forum is not letting me share files or links with you because I am new here. I thought of uploading the files on Google Drive but I wouldn't be able to share the link to it.

I hear that the piano is almost as loud as the vocal on the previous video. I used loudness normalization on Audacity to set it to -14 LUFS before I posted it but I guess that was too much. On the new video, I tried to pull the piano back, deleted the breath sounds, and set the normalizer to -16 LUFS.

I've been using a program called DVDvideosoft to download youtube videos since 2011. Once you pay for it you just need to follow their updates if it stops working. It has other useful tools as well. Very easy to use. You can try it for free.

Daria

I gave it a couple of plays on both headphones and speakers.

The reverb level seems to match the piano very well. Did the piano recording come with the reverb or did you you add it to both? It is a bit like I would hear in the church I attend, plenty of space but good clarity.

As for sound quality (and I'm the farthest thing from an expert on opera!!!) it sounds pretty natural, and well balanced. I didn't hear any obvious distortions or overdriven vocal passages.

I added the same reverb to the piano :)

I give up! My 10yr old Asus in my living room uses the 'VIA High Definition' on board audio and when set for max level* Audacity never hit higher than -4dBfs on a YT of Mozza's 40. On the Lenovo stuff does hit the stops.
I have to come to the conclusion that there is no reliable way to tell what the original levels were for a piece posted on YT?

*I have always left levels so set, including those in DAWs since I was told this "uses all the bits"? I always have an external analogue VC for when darstadly digital goes Ape ***t!

Furthermore, I have been listening to the Asus every day via an Arcam hi fi amp for a good six months and previously via an ESI 1010e interface. At no time was I aware of any sign of clipping or compression. The levels were always maxed.
Dave.

Ok, it is the worst form of humor on a forum to pickup on a person's typos but could not resist.

(leaRned)

Dave.

Oh sorry :) I didn't realize I had a typo.

Did you have the chance to listen to the last video I posted? How does the piano sound on your monitors?

Thank you,

Daria

Here's the link to the Youtube Vid.

YouTube

I've also added the audio I extracted from YT. Daria, let me know if this file sounds reasonably close to what you hear with your original.

You should now be able to post an MP3 file. When you are doing the post, hit the Go Advanced button and you should see an option to manage attachments. You should use MP3 format, HR doesn't allow wave files because of the size. 256 or 320kbps is the best.

Attachments

• Daria's Ganymed Ver 2.mp3
    7.7 MB · Views: 5
Back