Can I successfully record my soprano voice with Focusrite 2i2 3rd generation studio?

That's good. I am often concerned that the adjustments that Youtube makes could be distorting things. It was always the same with listening to music via FM radio vs the original albums or CDs. Things are processed to try to give a consistency in the sound on that platform, so what you hear is often different from the original.

For the heck of it,,, Set your self up under a blanket,,, Record that. Check out the capture difference. Will tell a bit about the rooms effects.
It's easy, and free, and just might help find a direction unknown. lol

That's good. I am often concerned that the adjustments that Youtube makes could be distorting things. It was always the same with listening to music via FM radio vs the original albums or CDs. Things are processed to try to give a consistency in the sound on that platform, so what you hear is often different from the original.

We are(were?) fortunate in the UK to have BBC R3 where they do not process signals very much AFAIK. Yes, they have to cater for the fact that people have some pretty low grade listening gear at home and many people listen in cars with an ambient noise level around 60dB, but mostly it is only mild treatment. I see most music averaging -30dBfs and peaks to -6. A peak to -3dB would be extremely rare and probably an error.

I no longer listen to FM except a bit in the old jam jar but 'back in the day' we had the benefit of guys like Austin Uden and later Angus Mckenzie who had state of art radio kit and listened critically to BBC stereo FM. Woe betide the producer who 'effed up the balance of a prom! These guys could hear mic preamp hiss"! They also castigated the Beeb for dropping tape speed to 7.5ips!

Okay! Okay! Another world another time I know but a few of us old codgers remember and try to keep standards up!

Radio One (ugh!) and Classic FM are of course 'bangin'. I don't go there.

Dave.

Morning Daria. I have just come from listening to the latest version on my Tannoys. Yes, the levels are reduced but still have one peak at 0dBfs. I suppose that is a function of the Normalization? Personally I would only take tracks to -3dBfs or so. You are not after all in the "CD rock loudness wars"! I 'think' close to the end I heard a faint 'crack'? Could be me though!

The piano is still massive but I guess that is the track you are given?

So, your recording efforts are not going to worry anyone at DGram' but as vehicle for your voice? Superb!

Dave.

Morning Daria. I have just come from listening to the latest version on my Tannoys. Yes, the levels are reduced but still have one peak at 0dBfs. I suppose that is a function of the Normalization? Personally I would only take tracks to -3dBfs or so. You are not after all in the "CD rock loudness wars"! I 'think' close to the end I heard a faint 'crack'? Could be me though!

The piano is still massive but I guess that is the track you are given?

So, your recording efforts are not going to worry anyone at DGram' but as vehicle for your voice? Superb!

Dave.

I am trying to fix the piano's sound. I will share a new recording :)

I would use this "barrier" type curved semi-circle that goes behind the mic to nullify a good part of the room sound.

If anyone is interested, Daria has posted several new selections on her Youtube channel. I'm not sure if these were done at home to recorded music track (I suspect they were). This is her most recent.

I would use this "barrier" type curved semi-circle that goes behind the mic to nullify a good part of the room sound.

Pretty sure those "Reflex Filters" are designed to work for a fairly close <300mm, mic to cake hole distance? They also need careful setting up with the mic I read otherwise they can introduce colouration.
Daria is working at a much greater distance than the usual Home recording jockey and this such a filter would have little effect IMHO.

Dave.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, Daria has posted several new selections on her Youtube channel. I'm not sure if these were done at home to recorded music track (I suspect they were). This is her most recent.

Stupendous! Yes the 'acoustic' is a little more lively than many here are perhaps used to but I am sure I could understand every word IF I spoke the language! Those (glissandi?) from high to low must be very hard to control?

Level was hot, I got just a smell under 0dBfs in Audacity (that last drum beat) and personally I would pull that back a dB or so for safety (but then maybe YT slams things?) But hey, "if it ain't broke?"

Daria, can you post a photo of your setup please? I would just like to see how far off the mic you are.

Dave.

Back