Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: Can I successfully record my soprano voice with Focusrite 2i2 3rd generation studio?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,719
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 766 Times in 728 Posts
    Rep Power
    9647193
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Bit moot. It was said that Tom Jones used to WRECK microphones!

    I certainly would not put him 50mm from MY Coles 4038! (if I had one, slurp)

    Dave.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,719
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 766 Times in 728 Posts
    Rep Power
    9647193
    Just heard Richard Tauber, 'Nessum Dorma' in the car and he was 'well back' in the hall acoustic but held his own against the orchestra.
    Did not catch the date of the recording (driving!) but Tauber died in 1948 so the technology was pretty primitive. Direct to disc and I doubt there were more a two or three microphones?

    Of course, the recording will have had some super 'magic' mastering but it must have been pretty well balanced to start with?

    Dave.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    3,445
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 542 Times in 491 Posts
    Rep Power
    4652860
    I've got a new operatic soprano client as of last night and we're going to record three pieces. Two are operatic love songs, and have limited dynamic range but the other has a very wide range. She sent me a home recording and it's almost like a re-run of this topic. She sounds hard and less good than she is, but clearly from these demos she has a good voice, so now I have to think about doing it in a studio, or perhaps live in a church environment.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello!
    I have the mixer now and I believe it is going to work like magic! It didn't come with a USB cable but I already had one(luckily). However, I am having a problem with a noise situation. I searched about it on youtube and found out that it is called ground loop noise. I unplugged my laptop and it reduced considerably but when I turn the channel level a little higher (less than halfway) I still hear it.
    What do you think I should use to stop it?

    Thank you
    Daria

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,719
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 766 Times in 728 Posts
    Rep Power
    9647193
    Quote Originally Posted by dariamente View Post
    Hello!
    I have the mixer now and I believe it is going to work like magic! It didn't come with a USB cable but I already had one(luckily). However, I am having a problem with a noise situation. I searched about it on youtube and found out that it is called ground loop noise. I unplugged my laptop and it reduced considerably but when I turn the channel level a little higher (less than halfway) I still hear it.
    What do you think I should use to stop it?

    Thank you
    Daria
    I am sorry Daria, perhaps I was not clear, you do not want to use the USB function on the mixer, the way it is implemented on most I have seen will not suit your MO.

    You will need two 'stereo' aka 'TRS' cables to go from the mixer's outputs to the line inputs on the interface*. The ground loop problem is a bit of a setback but fixable I am sure. We need...

    Make and model of mixer.
    AI we know.
    Type of computer, i.e. desktop or laptop and if the latter can it run on battery?
    Any other connected equipment, e.g. active speakers, hi fi/ audio system.

    *I have sent the same kit setup to my son in France. He has a Soundcraft 8fx notebook USB mixer and a Behringer UMC204HD interface. He mainly records himself on classical guitar and builds songs with an electric. Once in a blue moon he sends dear old dad a bit of his work!

    Dave.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I am sorry Daria, perhaps I was not clear, you do not want to use the USB function on the mixer, the way it is implemented on most I have seen will not suit your MO.

    You will need two 'stereo' aka 'TRS' cables to go from the mixer's outputs to the line inputs on the interface*. The ground loop problem is a bit of a setback but fixable I am sure. We need...

    Make and model of mixer.
    AI we know.
    Type of computer, i.e. desktop or laptop and if the latter can it run on battery?
    Any other connected equipment, e.g. active speakers, hi fi/ audio system.

    *I have sent the same kit setup to my son in France. He has a Soundcraft 8fx notebook USB mixer and a Behringer UMC204HD interface. He mainly records himself on classical guitar and builds songs with an electric. Once in a blue moon he sends dear old dad a bit of his work!

    Dave.
    Could you please explain more specifically how I need to connect the mixer to the interface with TRS cables?

    I bought Yamaha MG10XU
    I have a Casper laptop. It can run on battery.
    I am using the headphones that came with the Focusrite Studio.
    The only thing that is connected to my computer is an external hard disk.
    I unplugged the mixer now and connected my Focusrite interface.

    Waiting for your instruction because I am very confused I don't know how TRS cables work.

    It's really nice that you get to enjoy your son's performances

    Thank you!
    Daria

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,719
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 766 Times in 728 Posts
    Rep Power
    9647193
    Quote Originally Posted by dariamente View Post
    Could you please explain more specifically how I need to connect the mixer to the interface with TRS cables?

    I bought Yamaha MG10XU
    I have a Casper laptop. It can run on battery.
    I am using the headphones that came with the Focusrite Studio.
    The only thing that is connected to my computer is an external hard disk.
    I unplugged the mixer now and connected my Focusrite interface.

    Waiting for your instruction because I am very confused I don't know how TRS cables work.

    It's really nice that you get to enjoy your son's performances

    Thank you!
    Daria
    Thanks for the info Daria. I have some 'hospital' stuff to sort out ref my wife but later today I can send you a diagram of my ideas for your setup and some, I hope, helpful words.

    Someone might get there before me and if so, sobeit.

    Laters,
    Dave.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Thanks for the info Daria. I have some 'hospital' stuff to sort out ref my wife but later today I can send you a diagram of my ideas for your setup and some, I hope, helpful words.

    Someone might get there before me and if so, sobeit.

    Laters,
    Dave.

    Hi! I connected the mixer to the interface and i still have the noise.

    I hope your wife is okay!

    Daria

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,719
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 766 Times in 728 Posts
    Rep Power
    9647193
    Quote Originally Posted by dariamente View Post
    Hi! I connected the mixer to the interface and i still have the noise.

    I hope your wife is okay!

    Daria
    Thank you Daria, she is fine just time consuming treatment.

    I hope the picture attached helps (I Tippex out some lines hoping to make things clearer? Not sure it helped!) But I suggest you don't do that yet for two reasons...
    Yes, we need to get this ground loop sorted but also, an incremental approach usually helps understanding (well, it helps THIS ancient brain anyway!)

    Just power up the mixer and plug in some headphones. Leave the H/P level at zero for now.
    Plug in your microphone and set 'gain' and channel level as shown in that scabby instruction sheet. A finger click should give you some indication on a channel light or/and in the LED meter strip. ( 'pan' control to centre for now)
    Now don the headphones and advance that level. You should get your voice in the cans? If not you will need to check the settings. Once there you can look at the reverb effect and probably go for a whiff of 'Concert Hall'? I am pretty sure you can have that effect in your phones but NOT record it.

    At this stage with JUST the mixer connected you should be getting a very clean and clear signal devoid of any hums or buzzes. If not we shall have to investigate further and it is possible but unlikely IMHO, that you have a faulty mixer.

    When you are happy with the sound and the FX investigate the compression. It would have been better to get a peak limiter but such are rare to non-existant on budget mixers. I am sure however that you will be able to apply a very gentle amount of compression to keep the level up but not overload the 2i2.

    Next step, connect the Stereo Outs to the 2i2 line inputs. The TRS cables are just 6.5mm stereo jack plugs each end. You could probably use TS or mono cables but, especially in view of the GN problem, balanced is much better.
    So now you just have mixer feeding AI and AI plugged into laptop, the latter is on battery power, no charger. Transfer the headphone plug to the F'rite and check the sound. It should be very much the same as that out of the mixer.

    That is all for now. Please let me know your results.

    Ah! Forgot "see text". That feed from the AI can go back to the mixer and that means you do ALL your monitoring via the mixer. There is however a possibility of feedback. No harm but can be quite startling! Leave out those connections for now.

    Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ds-mixer-setup-jpg  

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, the memories this brings back. My sister retired from opera in Germany and I did her demos early on. Most likely there are a handful of things you'll have to address to get successful recordings. I recommend first using a microphone designed for high sound pressure level like a Shure sm-57. If that's out of your budget range, there are knock off mics designed similar for less at retailers like musicians friend. Others have already mentioned adjusting levels on the fly so I don't need to mention that and the other suggestion I'd have is use of compression which others have mentioned as well. Usually once those three things were done/addressed, getting usable levels was little problem. You might also consider downloading a sound pressure level phone app and take some test readings with it to help you with microphone placement. Generally I've gotten good results keeping the level down to no more than 3/4 of the mics rated maximum SPL capacity. What you're wanting to do is difficult, but it can be done with the right Mic and the focusrite interface you have and software/hardware that you have. Just hang in there, have patience and you've found a good site with helpful folks willing to lend their expertise. Good luck!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. TalismanRich
  2. ecc83

Similar Threads

  1. What is the right mic for a soprano voice please?
    By cathryn1975 in forum Microphones
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 22:20
  2. Music Studio Generation 5
    By tradosaurus in forum Newbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 19:47
  3. any DC area CE studio's to record voice demo??
    By radiogirl in forum Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 17:51
  4. best mic for recording operatic soprano voice
    By metalyrico in forum Microphones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •