Can I get louder sound in output with a tube mic preAMP ?

gomidas

Hello, I am recording with a cheap XLR condenser mic. (Neewer 24$). I have Steinberg UR12 as a USB interface.
I do not get enough loud and clean audio even I increase gain.
Last, I thought thats about my voice. I want to get a sharp, loud and clean audio without talking loudly.

Can I achieve this with a quality Valve Voicing Tube Mic Preamp ???

If not is that about microphone ? (Not that I am not singing I just talk.)

Hi,
No matter what gear you use signal to noise ratio is very important.
"Noise" might be the self noise (hiss) of the equipment, or the fan across the room, or your air conditioning.
Whatever it is, there's a base line that your signal needs to be well above, otherwise you're always going to hear it.

If you're speaking very softly or you're too far away from the microphone your signal (voice) to noise is always going to be too low so no matter how much you amplify,
or what preamp you use, it's always going to be the same.

"talking loudly" is relative. If you can attach a clip demonstrating your problem someone might be able to offer more info. ;)

The Neewer/BM-800 microphones are remarkably good for their cost and the two I bought have quite a healthy output, comparable to my AKG P150s and WAY stronger than an SM57.
However, the cheap cap mics suffer from really bad QC and many people have had sample that are low (or NO!) output or they are rather noisy.

Speaking about 100mm from the mic and with the supplied foam spit guard on you should easily get levels around the -20/-18dBfs area with peaks to -12. The Steinbergs are noted to have low noise mic pres and easily enough gain for a capacitor mic. If that setup does NOT give you those levels the mic is a dud.

Has to be said however that even if the budget mic gives you enough level it is likely to be marginal for noise for speech. V/O recording demands THE lowest noise level both from the gear and the space. 'Noises off' clocks, cars, people, dogs...Pigeons! All conspire to make your life hard and much editing and re-taking will be needed. Even if you don't fluff!
Of course that last diatribe is dependent upon how fussy you are and where the recordings are going.

Dave.

the manual shows the preamp as -50dbu ~ -6.
+48v...… headphones 40ohm, so typical closed backs of headphones shouldn't be a problem.

Can you try another mic, easily?
that might determine if its the UR12 or the Mic or cable.

Attachments

• UR12.png
    UR12.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 8
If the OP should ever return, as many are fly by one timers :listeningmusic:..........

- Be sure you're talking into the front side (usually has the company name and/or logo) and not into the end of the mic like a performer on stage might do with a dynamic type of mic.
- You should be using an XLR to XLR cable (not XLR to 1/4"(6.3mm) ) and ensure the 48v phantom power is on.
- What are you using for recording software and have the drivers for the UR12 been installed for use by the interface?

I am so tempted, but alas maybe too mics in the closet already :D .... NW-800 $19.99 on Amazon with Prime shipping NW-800

I wonder of Finneas will be use one for Billie's next album?

The few samples that I have heard seemed to be quite noisy.

If the OP should ever return, as many are fly by one timers :listeningmusic:..........

- Be sure you're talking into the front side (usually has the company name and/or logo) and not into the end of the mic like a performer on stage might do with a dynamic type of mic.
- You should be using an XLR to XLR cable (not XLR to 1/4"(6.3mm) ) and ensure the 48v phantom power is on.
- What are you using for recording software and have the drivers for the UR12 been installed for use by the interface?

I am so tempted, but alas maybe too mics in the closet already :D .... NW-800 $19.99 on Amazon with Prime shipping NW-800

I think I can save you from the dilemma Mark? The microphones ARE remarkably good for the price and even the build quality is very good. However IF you have other mics I cannot see the point in getting one?

I have had two about 6 months apart, the BM-800 type. Their good feature is that they will work directly into a PC mic jack and at least on this i3 HP g6, no AI needed and this is more versatile than a USB mic. This is why I sent my son one. HOWEVER! He has a USB LDC and finds he much prefers the sound of that for classical guitar. (he also likes the SM57 on CG but the Behringer 204HD he now has is not quite good enough in the noise/gain dpt*He has to have it so close he clouts it).

The mics are also slightly noisy, good enough for most jobs but critical V/O work might be beyond them. That is even on XLR and a good AI.

So, unless you have an application that calls for a capacitor mic that you don't much mind getting damaged or nicked, put the 20 bucks toward something better. The Behringer caps seem to get a good rep?

*I hasten to add...the 204's pre amps are easily good enough for almost anything else. Singing at 100mm, close speech at 50mm and anywhere you like on a 100dB gitamp cab!

Dave.

Back