Can anyone help me "diagnose" my USB mic's background noise/hissing? PLEASE HELP!!

The spectrum of the noise attached is weird! A peak at 80Hz (almost) and another at 160Hz. Not either UK or US mains.

But even after applying a 200Hz HPF there is still a lot of hiss at about -45dBfs. That's a BAD cassette!

Also attached is scratch test recording using a Sennheiser headset (calm down, only ~20quid and I would not reccy them) Windows recording level was set to 100% and the recording done via a TEKNET USB dongle. The 'silence' is my room at 10am.

I am at a loss atmo to explain the OP's poor results. I can only suggest taking the mics to a different location and with a different PC.

Dave. BLOODY eyes! The peaks are of course 90Hz and 180! Still not power related mind.

Attachments

• sampspect.png
    sampspect.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 2020-11-19hedaset n test.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
I've done that as well, and it hasn't changed anything...
Then you either have a defective microphone or you are not changing the correct setting (see the manual and what [MENTION=45599]gecko zzed[/MENTION] describes). If you have the level for the USB mic all the way up in the control panel settings, the recorded part, i.e., the vocal or piano, should be *much* louder in the raw file. That's what I want to hear - something like before but with a properly gained signal.

Once you have that working, then try the laptop on AC as well as battery and see if the noise changes. Then, move the laptop from wherever it is currently placed to somewhere else, like under the desk (away from desk lamps, perhaps), etc. See if the noise changes. Move the microphone relative to other electronics or orient it so the back of the mic is facing away from the computer, windows, etc. But, all of that has to happen after you get a proper signal level.

jusafort...You could try setting the laptop's internal mic as default, set to 100% then shuttf up for 20 secs or so.

After all, peeps use them all the time for Skyping and they are not that bad...EXCEPT when the room is a shell and they yodel at the lappy from 2mtrs away!

Dave.

I honestly think the problem is my laptop, and I'm wondering if something like an optical isolator/ground loop eliminator would work? I tried it on a desktop and there was very minimal background noise, so I'm thinking it's my laptop...

I'm wondering if something like an optical isolator/ground loop eliminator would work?

Your problem is less about noise and more about not getting enough signal. If it is good on desktop, but not good on laptop, then it is a more likely to be a configuration issue on the laptop. I can't see that an isolator/eliminator is going to work.

Your problem is less about noise and more about not getting enough signal. If it is good on desktop, but not good on laptop, then it is a more likely to be a configuration issue on the laptop. I can't see that an isolator/eliminator is going to work.

I've tried it on 3 different laptops now, and it's reacted this same way on them all...

I've tried it on 3 different laptops now, and it's reacted this same way on them all...

I have two laptops, this Lenovo T510 and an i3 HP W7. I have used both with a Citronics USB mic and various interfaces, no problem. My son has another Lenovo in France and makes similarly very low noise recordings with the same make of mic. He did have a cheap USB mic for some years that also worked fine until it broke.

Please try the internal mic idea I proposed.

Dave.

I have two laptops, this Lenovo T510 and an i3 HP W7. I have used both with a Citronics USB mic and various interfaces, no problem. My son has another Lenovo in France and makes similarly very low noise recordings with the same make of mic. He did have a cheap USB mic for some years that also worked fine until it broke.

Please try the internal mic idea I proposed.

Dave.

Just to make sure I understood correctly... you want me to set the internal mic as the default mic, set it to 100% and record silence? With or without the AT mic plugged in?

Just to make sure I understood correctly... you want me to set the internal mic as the default mic, set it to 100% and record silence? With or without the AT mic plugged in?
It won't matter if the USB mic is plugged in if the internal mic is set as the default.

When you follow the steps on the AT2500x manual (page 11) what is the level set at with your USB mic, and the internal mic? Can you do a screen capture with the "snipper" (IIRC) tool?

jusafort...You could try setting the laptop's internal mic as default, set to 100% then shuttf up for 20 secs or so.

After all, peeps use them all the time for Skyping and they are not that bad...EXCEPT when the room is a shell and they yodel at the lappy from 2mtrs away!

Dave.

Okay here it is... internal mic as default, levels set to 100, complete silence:

Internal Mic

Why dont you just cut the heartache and get a Rode NTL1A and an interface? Then say goodbye to all this.

May I ask why? I don't really have the need for more than 1 input, which is why I looked at that compared to the other Focusrite audio interfaces... does quality differ between them?

Not now you don't but the day may come...? The, The World is relentlessly 'stereo' or at least two channel and it always seems odd to me to buck that trend for a ha'poth of tar.

As for "lower quality"? I don't know but you are getting the basic of basics (RCA outs not jacks FCS!) If you want to stay F'rite go with the 2i2 but I can recommend the Behringer UMC204HD. If you want a good budget LDC I have just sent my son a Mackie EM-91c and he is getting excellent results with it on classical guitar. (you get a mic cable with it, $5 at least saved?)

Just seems to me a "frying pan" decision? If you are going to go for a PROPER AI+LDC setup, do it prolerly!

Dave.

Okay here it is... internal mic as default, levels set to 100, complete silence:

Internal Mic

Attached is the above boosted by 12dB so I can hear it in Samplitude. That means the noise floor is around -57dBfs, not brilliant but adequate I would say. The spectrum of the noise still shows that weird peak at 90Hz. Fknows what that is but it is low enough not to be a bother.

But! NO reference voice FCS! (like drawing teeth sometimes!) Neg 57 is an ok noise floor IF speech is hitting -20, peaks to -8 or so...But we can't tell from that clip. (Art for Art sake. Scientific Method FFS!)

However, it would seem that THAT laptop is fairly quiet.

Dave.

Attachments

• internalmic01.mp3
    593.4 KB · Views: 4
Just seems to me a "frying pan" decision? If you are going to go for a PROPER AI+LDC setup, do it prolerly!

Dave.

Look mate if you were a carpenter would you go to a budget store and purchase the cheapest tools for the job? Would you enter your commuter/family car in a serious car race and expect to win? etc etc etc.

There is professional equipment out there that is tried and tested for each particular purpose. Then there are cheaper variations that make claims.

What Dave tells you in this sentence is 100%. If you need to do a proper job, a professional job then do it properly.

Look what others who are successful use to do the same job as you and get what they use even if it breaks the bank. If you have confidence in yourself then at least have confidence in your tools that you purchase to do that job.

Put another $200 to your price and get a Rode NT1A kit and an Audient id4. Tried and tested and would be suitable and compatible to upgrade with or re-sell instantly if things turned sour.

How much did you pay for your present set-up and how much do you think you could re-sell for? Because it's certainly not compatible for an upgrade is it?

"Look mate if you were a carpenter would you go to a budget store and purchase the cheapest tools for the job?"

The analogy is a good one but can be qualified. A master carpenter/cabinet maker (dad was one, made church organs) MIGHT buy a cheap panel saw if he had a load of reclaimed timber to cut that might contain a nail or screw or two. Similarly, don't use your very best brass backed tenon saw on plasterboard! BUT! The point is, the professional knows where and when to spend and to save.

You don't really need the Rode mic nor an Audient AI (have there been reliability issues with the iDs?)there AIs and mics that will do the job just as well for less money, but you need to know the difference!

If Orson has personal experience of his reccy, go for it. My choice would be the Native Instruments KA6 (or smaller) and the Mackie EM 91c LDC but quite honestly one of the better Behringer interfaces would be as good. I had the UMC204HD and it held up very well against the KA6 and an elderly but good F'rite 8i6.

Dave.

I am a carpenter. :D

We did buy a Scarlett 2i2 and a Rode NT1A. We sold the Scarlett for an Audient id14. Still have the Rode and others.

We started to purchase our gear after visiting forums and watching youtube vids. We made mistakes. Then sold certain items and watched Professionals who had made videos which showed their gear. Pausing and making notes is a great eye opener. :) Never heard of probs with 'id's' except ones which were discounted as user errors. Ourselves included :o:o

I never buy cheap tools for carpentry. I did when I first started and I soon learned. One professional tool I own I have had 30 years and it still works ok. Several others are almost as old and still do their job.

There you go. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Attached is the above boosted by 12dB so I can hear it in Samplitude. That means the noise floor is around -57dBfs, not brilliant but adequate I would say. The spectrum of the noise still shows that weird peak at 90Hz. Fknows what that is but it is low enough not to be a bother.

But! NO reference voice FCS! (like drawing teeth sometimes!) Neg 57 is an ok noise floor IF speech is hitting -20, peaks to -8 or so...But we can't tell from that clip. (Art for Art sake. Scientific Method FFS!)

However, it would seem that THAT laptop is fairly quiet.

Dave.
I think my bolded text is what makes folks reluctant to get into these threads. One of the first things asked for.

Even that initial noise with the USB mic was very low, and the *only* example with a recorded voice had it peaking at -45dB, so the noise was about the same I think, though clearly more of it may have made it into the signal, perhaps amplified by the USB mic's electronics. (And we can't know what kind of filtering may be applied to the built-in mic signal - always a possibility in the laptop design if something shows up in prototypes.) It would be interesting to hear recordings with an actual signal at a proper level made by the USB mic, but that's never happened...

Back