CAD M179 deal (semi-spammy)

Sklathill

Soundcard Junkie
Since a while ago Fletcher and others were talking about the deterioration of CAD's QC, I held off from buy a couple more M179s to supplement my current pair which I love.

However, I saw a deal on the net that was cheap enough that I figured, hell, might as well try.

http://www.studio34music.com/product/CADM179

At 135 bucks each, I figured, why not? If they're bad, at least I would have proven it to myself...

I bought two, and about a week later, a slightly beat up box showed up. not a great sign, but at least the contents was intact. They looked new, and the insides suggested the same. Serial numbers are on the frequency response chart and the mic base. (I got 00200 and 01187). From the charts, the mics are very slightly different. The 1187 had a slight 1 db dip at 950 Hz. Other than that, they looked similar to my current mics. They were mechanically sound, switches and dials were good.

Anyways, I put them next to me current mics and all sounded quite good. Noise floor basically the same and general tone from my (crappy!) singing and speaking was basically the same. I was wondering if the power draw issue would manifest itself with my Behringer (the only thing I have which gives me 4 similar sounding preamps) but it didn't.

I've bought 7 cad mics in a pariod of 2 years, and so far I haven't seen anything like bad quality control. Maybe I've just been lucky. If so, I'm hoping I stay lucky, because they've treated me well. I'm just annoyed that I bought my first M179 for 300 bucks. :\

If anyone's interested in a solid multipattern mic that sounds good, check out that site. For that cheap, I think it's a nobrainer.

Sklathill said:
I was wondering if the power draw issue would manifest itself with my Behringer (the only thing I have which gives me 4 similar sounding preamps) but it didn't.
I wouldn't worry about that. CAD was using a Behringer mixer at Summer NAMM to demo their mics.

Back