Buzzing Noise from Condenser Microphone

Kylesinko

Hi there!

I've been viewing the forum for quite a while now, and really have been enjoying the vast amount of information and resources here, so I'm keen to join this community and am looking forward to this conversation. :D

I've had an issue with my condenser microphone for quite a while now.

My Rode NT2-A Condenser Microphone makes an electrostatic "buzzing" noise when plugged in to my PC.

I have tried using adobe audition to remove this "background buzz", but cannot do so without affecting the quality of my recording.

I had the microphone sent off for repairs as the wind shield had become detached over time. I thought this was the cause of the buzzing, since the shield wasn't making connection with the base and was causing "grounding issues."

But, upon receiving the mic back, the problem persisted.

However, I soon came to realise that - despite there being a buzzing noise when connected to my PC - when instead connected via 3.5mm cable to my DSLR camera (Nikon D5600), the microphone would sound a lot clearer and it seems the buzzing is almost completely removed.

So, filming my podcast, over the past 25 episodes I have been connected to my DSLR and been recording audio as I film. Easy fix.

However, now I have been in a couple of Skype calls - interviewing others on my PC, and need to use a headset mic to record my audio. Otherwise the buzzing noise persists as it is plugged into the computer.

So I thought, maybe there's a problem with my 3.5mm audio jack on my computer.

So, I ordered a XLR to USB. But, this made no difference.

Here's a bit about my setup:

I have a Rode NT2-A Condenser Mic connected to a 48v Phantom Power from eBay. (yes, I understand an ebay product could be the problem, but I'd prefer not to swap out everything to try and find the problem, when it could be something entirely different, considering my DSLR works fine).

The input for the microphone connects to the Phantom Power using XLR to XLR.

The output is connected from XLR (from the phantom power) to 3.5mm (to my PC). I also tried a XLR to USB as mentioned before which made no difference.

I'm really quite new to podcasting and using my condenser microphone and would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback you have to help solve my buzzing issue.

Here's an example of a recording through my PC compared to through my DSLR camera.

View attachment test dslr mono.mp3View attachment test mono source.mp3

Thanks a lot,
Kyle

EDIT:

I've been playing around a bit. I feel like it's got to do with the jack or USB port I'm connecting to.

I tried plugging the XLR to USB into different USB ports on my PC and I had varying buzzing noises. No ports sounded the same.

I also tried plugging the XLR to 3.5mm into the rear audio jack. The buzzing noise is a lot quieter but still there in the background.

Could it be a grounding issue or an issue with my ports?

Last edited:
Rodes typically have very low self-noise, and are also pretty reliable.

The standard on-board sound on computers is not known for being noise-free (specially on laptops), so that could be a source of the noise.

However, given the type of noise it is, I would be very suspicious of the phantom power unit.

While the noise on the DSLR is quieter, I would not be happy with that.

So, if you are expecting to do a lot more podcasting, I would recommend ditching the phantom power unit and the 3.5mm connection, getting a decent audio interface, then going xlr to xlr to interface, then interface to computer via usb.

I cannot quite envisage Kyle how you get from the phantom power unit to the 3.5mm jack?

The output of the Rode is balanced (reduces hum!) and laptop jacks are not.

You seem to have SOME good kit in your armory, why noT add a nice little Audio Interface? The new MOTU M2 looks bloody gorgeous!
You can of course get cheaper. A bog S Behringer will set you back about $50 but think long and hard? 'Basic and cheap' can soon become 'inflexible and a PITA'.

Dave.

Back