Buying my first condenser today! help!

whirlwindRA

Today my parents are taking me to guitar center to get me a condenser mic as a Christmas present. I've been looking at a bunch of mics online and in other threads, but I have no clue what I need. I think my price range will be under $200, but I can probably convince my parents to go a bit higher. I have an audio interface so I'm all good with phantom power. The primary use for the mic will be vocals, and I am concerned because I don't know what type I will sound good with and such. I will also use it for acoustic guitar and guitar cabs, but my primary concern is vocals. If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great!

If you get a dynamic mic, $200 will go a LOT farther in terms of quality. That being said, for around 200, some condensers to look at are the Rode NT1a or the Blue Spark. Also, I've heard some good things from people who've used the MXL 9000 Tube.

For what GC has to offer for a condenser microphone for $200. isn't much.
Maybe what wtfuhz said with the Rode may be your best bet.
You will be able to try out anything they have in the store you know.
What state and city are you going to at the GC?

Advantages of using dynamic mics in a budget like yours is that 1. they're much cheaper 2. they do the job. Disadvantages are that they aren't as sensitive to details as condensers. They also aren't really as versatile as condensers. Anyone else want to add to these lists?

For what GC has to offer for a condenser microphone for $200. isn't much.
Maybe what wtfuhz said with the Rode may be your best bet.
You will be able to try out anything they have in the store you know.
What state and city are you going to at the GC?

Yeah I was afraid about their selection. It's in Algonquin, IL, and I never paid too much attention to the mics before

Talk them up to an AT2050.

Would that be a good choice?

MSHilarious has a good point there. It's only about $20. more and you will end up with a muti-pattern microphone --- Sweet!

Don't think they carry it in stock though.
Don't forget if you go on line there are discount coupons to use at GC!!!!!

MSHilarious has a good point there. It's only about $20. more and you will end up with a muti-pattern microphone --- Sweet!

Don't think they carry it in stock though.
Don't forget if you go on line there are discount coupons to use at GC!!!!!

Looks like a good deal! The second closest guitar center has it in stock. So it's basically the AT2020 with multipattern? What exactly can I do with that?

Back