Buying a good condenser for the studio

ex351d

Looking for a really good vocal mic. I have to buy new as there is no used market in my country.

At the moment I have a decent collection of dynamics: SM57, SM7b, MD421 and D112. And I have only 2 sE X1 and 1 Blue Bluebird LDCs.

I do not have the budget for a U87. I was thinking about the TLM 102. In the same price there is also the C414 (XLS or XLII) which I could get a pair for general purpose around the studio.

What would you recommend?

Take a look at the Avantone CV12. It's not the only vocal mic out there, but it's only about US $500 and it's given me great results. I usually record my lead vox with a U87ai, but I've done comparisons between the CV12 and the U87, and the CV12 actually holds up very well. I mean, it's not a U87, don't get me wrong. But the quality of the recordings that I've gotten with it are pretty exciting. It's a great value for the money.

Thank you very much for the input. I really like the CV12. I've been going back and forth if I should get it or the Oktava MK220.

I know that this might sound a bit shallow, but I am looking for a mic that I can bring people with the mic name. I know that it should not matter. But if I cannot get people through the door I cannot record. Unfortunately, even for free, people are hesitant to come in. They think they are going to waste their time if I do not have the gear. I'd like to get some decent talent now, because I'm tired of working with singers that I have to destroy the track with pitch correction and time adjustments.

Once I bought a Lewitt LCT 440, my Avantone CV-12 hasn't even been out of it's case. Plus I no longer have room for the external power supply for a tube mic like the CV-12, so that adds to the layer of dust gathering on my Avantone's box. The CV-12 is a good mic, and I like it's smooth high frequencies. But the LCT 440 seems to work better to help lead vocals stand out in a mix for me, and I like it on acoustic guitar way more than I ever liked the CV-12 for that purpose.

The 414 is not too expensive and a industry tested mic, cant go wrong with that. Easy resale because its a know unit ,, if it doesnt work out.

The 414 is not too expensive and a industry tested mic, cant go wrong with that. Easy resale because its a know unit ,, if it doesnt work out.

The recent ones are not made in Austria anymore, I believe they have been moved east. Do they still hold the resale value and do they sound just as good?

Blue Yeti Pro package is an Excellent Budget Studio Mic with the clarity of rivals costing much more. It is excellent for vocals or instrumentals, drums guitars and keys, ect .You can buy direct from Blue's website or Amazon.com.
My second large condenser mic is the Samson CO-1, I have tow of them, "Nuff' Said ? That said, I am not sure the Samson is still available, new.
I do wish you well and superb recording.

He makes a valid point about perception. I have the 414 as my firm favourite for a do anything mic, but I have some rather nice sounding Chinese mics that for some jobs are the ones I go to first. However, the look down the nose, sniffy opinion of many, based on their perception that East means crap, is not a good marketing tool. A Neumann 87 or AKG 414, or anything Schoeps sadly, is! The cheaper Neumanns are out for me because for the price, it's only cardioid - so the multi-pattern 414 will be fine.

He makes a valid point about perception. I have the 414 as my firm favourite for a do anything mic, but I have some rather nice sounding Chinese mics that for some jobs are the ones I go to first. However, the look down the nose, sniffy opinion of many, based on their perception that East means crap, is not a good marketing tool. A Neumann 87 or AKG 414, or anything Schoeps sadly, is! The cheaper Neumanns are out for me because for the price, it's only cardioid - so the multi-pattern 414 will be fine.

If the mic really shines as a vocal mic, I'm OK with a cardioid. But otherwise, I'd like having options.

I'd be also OK with a vocal only mic, since I really use the LDC for vocals only. And outside kick, but I'm not going to put my expensive mic as outside kick.

I've got most of the other uses covered. I have a decent collection of good dynamics, and while cheap, I really like the MK012. They work for drum room and acoustic guitar. I like them so much that I'm tempted to get an Oktava pair LDC and call it a day, the only think holding me is I would like to get a great mic to try to attract people to get through the door.

I've been looking at a lot of mics. The problem is that I cannot get hands on experience on most of these LDC mics as I have to get them shipped into my country.

Once I bought a Lewitt LCT 440, my Avantone CV-12 hasn't even been out of it's case. Plus I no longer have room for the external power supply for a tube mic like the CV-12, so that adds to the layer of dust gathering on my Avantone's box. The CV-12 is a good mic, and I like it's smooth high frequencies. But the LCT 440 seems to work better to help lead vocals stand out in a mix for me, and I like it on acoustic guitar way more than I ever liked the CV-12 for that purpose.

I've actually been looking at the LCT 640. But now is not the time to buy Chinese stuff, the 640 just went up in price by 20%. These tend to fluctuate and I have to wait for the right time. The AC15 went up in price 2 days before I got my monthly wage. Had to wait 7 months for it to go down around 18%.

Is this available over there?
Miktek C7e |

I have a Miktek C1 (cardioid only) and it's one my favorite vocal mics. The C7e gives you the extra polar patterns. The switchable capsule voltage is a nice feature to give the mic two different voicings.

If your looking to bring people in the door through name brands, you've already lost the battle. Your skills will depend on who c0mes through your doors.

If your looking to bring people in the door through name brands, you've already lost the battle. Your skills will depend on who c0mes through your doors.

The problem is that even when I reach out to people and offer recording for free, they do not ask me to send some of my work for them to see my capabilities, but they ask what gear do I have.

I can't just record my project and having myself playing all the tracks.

I'd look for a used Mike Jolly. He upgrades all the crap components/head basket in bad mics. They sound amazing.

Stick with your ears.
If your ears think you need a new mic then shop around but if not I'd tell people you use X because you like the results.
Sure, people like feeling like they know your trade but, honestly, I think most like it more knowing that you know your trade.
If you're happy with a bit of gear and you have your reasons, run with that. :)

If clients are more interested in your gear than your product, and they're not interested in your opinion, they might not be the right clients.
If they get to choose the mic, do they chose the position? The compressor? Maybe the reverb settings? What do you do at this stage? ;)
That's your line to draw.

That said, maybe they're trying to gauge how serious you are by judging your equipment, because you're offering to work for free?

Don't get me wrong. I understand there are times when it's worth wheeling out the shiny thing to please the customer,
but I wouldn't build my studio on that thinking.

Stick with your ears.
If your ears think you need a new mic then shop around but if not I'd tell people you use X because you like the results.
Sure, people like feeling like they know your trade but, honestly, I think most like it more knowing that you know your trade.
If you're happy with a bit of gear and you have your reasons, run with that. :)

If clients are more interested in your gear than your product, and they're not interested in your opinion, they might not be the right clients.
If they get to choose the mic, do they chose the position? The compressor? Maybe the reverb settings? What do you do at this stage? ;)
That's your line to draw.

That said, maybe they're trying to gauge how serious you are by judging your equipment, because you're offering to work for free?

Don't get me wrong. I understand there are times when it's worth wheeling out the shiny thing to please the customer,
but I wouldn't build my studio on that thinking.

Agreed x 10.

Actual samples of songs will bring people to you because they know you are good at what you do.

I have a guy that has recorded for two decades at a $75 per hour studio with full on high end outboard gear and a $12,000 mixer. He bringing tracks from there to me for mixdown because he is happier with my results on a current project.

Sometimes it's not the gear. It how an artist and engineer/producer work together.

I have personally used the AKG Condenser in some rcordings, and I was very pleased with the results. It is affordable, and even comes as a package, which includes your MIC, XLR, and pop filter. I had a good response from the audience.

-AKG Project Studio P220 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone with Pop Filter and XLR to XLR Cable

You can find it on amazon.com

Back