Buying first condenser...need advice

born-diva

Hello.
I'm new here and fairly new to recording but have some knowledge. I'm looking to buy a new mic (currently using a Shure sm58). I will only be recording vocals, no instruments at all. I'm using protools LE on a PC in my bedroom, just to give you an idea. I don't have any external preamps, just whatever's built in to my mbox. I'm female and i do hip-hop/r&b type stuff (sing and rap).

I'm looking for a large diaphragm, cardioid condenser...i guess...don't think i need all that multi-pattern stuff since i'll just be singing directly into the mic. The only thing i'm not too clear on is tube or no tube. I'm not sure what the difference is there. Anyway, i'm looking to spend under $500 CAD, so i guess that's maybe around $400 US ?? I know different mics work for different people but i guess i just want some opinions based on others' experience. I've done a fair amount of research and i'm leaning towards the AT4040 (4050 is a little pricier and i don't need the omni or figure-8) or even the AT3035 if it's comparable to the 4040. Some others i'm considering are: Blue Baby Bottle, AT4033, Studio Projects T3. Rode and AKG seem to get good reviews but too pricey for me.

I plan to test out a few later this week, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh, and the Shure ksm44 seems like a good one too, but again too pricey. I might be willing to hold off on buying until i get a little more money if it would really be worth it. I appreciate any advice.

You are on the right track, all the mics you mentioned are great home studio mics and you need to try them out on your voice. Add the CAD M177 or 179 to your list

You can really work with any mic in that range but I like the blue baby bottle that you mentioned i dont know how good it is on rap though. look at some mics that rappers over in that section are using see if there tracks soudn good and then ask what mic they used soo u know if u can get the sound u want.

born-diva said:
I plan to test out a few later this week...
Ah, that's the crucial step, and the one that so many bypass when buying mikes. Where will you be auditioning the mikes? (retailer, studio...)

You've done some homework. Cool. :D
What you've listed are good choices and ones to check out. I second the Cad M179. And I've got a 4050 and think it does a great job. Maybe you can get a deal on one. The 3035 (3000 series) are the cheaper line that AT has. I've got a 3035 and it doesn't get much use anymore. ;)

I don't know about the mbox thing as I don't use computer anything in my room but does it have phantom power? You'll need 48v for all of these mics.

As far as the tube mic...I dunno... :p

But I think I see a nice pre in your not so distant future. :)
Good luck in your ventures.

Peace

Thanks so much for the quick replies...much, much appreciated.

Yeah, i've read a lot about the importance of testing, which makes a lot of sense to me since we all have our preferences, right? I plan to test at a retailer so i'm hoping that they even have most of the mics i mentioned (fingers crossed). It would be really cool to test at a studio tho.

I'll definitely ask some fellow rappers what they're using. That's a good idea, but i sing as well so i'll need one that's good for both.

The m-box does have phantom power and built-in preamps (two, i think) so i'm good to go with a condenser mic. I would love to get a good external preamp but i really can't afford that right now so i'm hoping i can do okay without. But you're right, that should be my next purchase. It's all a process...slowly but surely ;)

Oh, and what's this CAD mic a few of you mentioned? Is that the brand name? Sorry for the dumb question :confused: .

And thanks again.

Yo Born-Diva! All that you have listed are good choices. AKG is *not* too expensive. Perception 200 is right in your price range, and is also a pretty good entry level condenser.-Richie

Thanks a lot :)
I'll definitely check that one out. Never heard of that brand b4. Mic looks different, but kinda cool in a way...but all that matters is the sound. I'll also look into that AKG mic...Wow, i've got a lot of choices. This should prove to be a daunting task.

Thanks for taking the time.

Recording vocals in a bedroom = Shure SM7.

Don't bother with a condensor in an untreated room; every single vocal you record will include the sound of the walls. You may not think it's a big deal now... but wait until you start listening and figuring out why the vocal doesn't sit in the mix!

It's $300 at GC if you haggle. You'll need a preamp with a lot of gain. Great mic, worth every penny.

Recording vocals in a bedroom = Shure SM7.

I agree with this advice. Condenser mics are far more sensitive than dynamic/ribbon mics, and will pick up more unwanted noise (such as your computer, house fans, TVs in other rooms, etc).

The cool thing about dynamics/ribbons is that you can get really high quality mics for relatively little cost as compared to high-end condensers.

Check out the Shure SM7b and EV RE-20 for dynamics and the Beyer M500 and M160 for ribbons. All of these mics are well under $500 (check eBay) and are mics you'll likely keep even if you move into condenser mics costing as much as cars.

+1 SM7b. A condenser mic picks up everything. In a bedroom studio, you just want it to pick up your voice. A cheap condenser mic will give you a lot of silibance, also. A nice dynamic is much better than a cheap condenser any day of the week. You might also want to look at your preamps and your technique. I'd pick an sm58 over any of those condenser mics you listed. Try taking the afro off the 58 and using a pop screen. It might give you just a touch more high end. There's a reason why you'll have a hard time finding a recording studio without 57's, sm7's, and 58's, but you won't see so many of those cheap condenser mics. Those are aimed at the people who read one issue of Future music and believe that the reason their vocals aren't coming out great is because they need a condenser mic.

SM7s are kind in a bad room. Don't forget to get an okay preamp, a ton of your signal is shaped with a good pre. As I've gone from using my board pres to old tube pres with nice imput transformers, you can hear a huge difference. Buy one nice mic, and one nice pre and you'll get some great recordings.

Big Kenny said:
You are on the right track, all the mics you mentioned are great home studio mics and you need to try them out on your voice. Add the CAD M177 or 179 to your list
Kenny, Is there any other difference between M177 and M179 aside from variable pattern? M177 has got pretty good deals like half the price of M179.

heil pr 40 (just another option)

http://oktava.com/inc/sdetail/209
(i think musicians friend is carrying heil now too, but buy from these guys they suck less)

imo, the baby bottle sucks. (have used a few times)
never fail on the 4033, a bit more versital than the 4040. (own both)
p.s. it's the 4033 that's the mid diaphram.

Back