Button Button - AKG 3000

I know someone out there will give a quick succinct answer.

On the AKG 3000 mic there are three little buttons on the mic shaft.

Currently, I have them all in the off position. What would be the best position for vocals?

Thanks in advance and happy 4th of July, except in Canada and other spots, like Portugal.

Green Hornet:D :D :p :p :cool: :cool:

One is a 10dB attenuator, more than likely, unless the vocalist is REAL loud leave it off.
One is a bass roll off, engage this one number one.
One switchs it from a cardiod pattern to a narrower cardiod pattern. Unless leakage from another source is a problem, I'd leave it off.

Track Rat said:

One switchs it from a cardiod pattern to a narrower cardiod pattern. Unless leakage from another source is a problem, I'd leave it off.

Just to elaborate a little on the difference in the pattern options:

You would probably use the cardioid pattern if you were most concerned with rejecting sound from the rear of the mic.

The hypercardioid pattern will not reject as well from the rear, but is better at rejecting from the side.

Switching the pattern, in some mics, also changes the frequency response and the amount of proximity effect, so the same material recorded in both patterns may sound a bit different. Almost like 2 different mics. You may want to experiment and see if this is the case with yours.

Hey Pants with excessive precipitation:

Like I said once before, my cyber friend in Portugal denied that they celebrate the 4th of July there -- no Independence Day for them.

But, you enjoy the the 4th and stay afloat with Coors.

Green Hornet

Back