broken?

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
What would be the main culprit to a malfunctioning omni setting of a microphone? Switch, Circuitry or the capsule?

And once finding out how would I go about fixing it.

Switch would be the first stop I guess since it's easy to test.
Can you dismantle the mic Henry? If so, get a meter on that switch and make sure it's passing ok.

I quickly tried to dismantle it last night and it got a bit late - I'll try again later today - note that the cardiode position works fine though.

Dang I'll have to admit that with my eyes at my age --- I don't think that I can work on this. :( Maybe I'll just keep it as a cardiode only large diaphragm.

Henry- PMI Audio has among the most rabid customer service department in the known world. I'll bet you PMI will happily fix it for free, just so they can see what went wrong with it. Just put it back together and call PMI Audio- really.-Richie

About a month. I opened it up to check the switchs but they're in a sealed unit and I didn't see a slick way of getting inside it at the time and closed it back up.

I just looked up your mic and took a peak at it. It looks like the switch assembly MAY be similar to mine. Mine looks like a disc shaped plastic housing with all three switchs in it (roll off, pattern and attenuator).

About a month. I opened it up to check the switchs but they're in a sealed unit and I didn't see a slick way of getting inside it at the time and closed it back up.

I just looked up your mic and took a peak at it. It looks like the switch assembly MAY be similar to mine. Mine looks like a disc shaped plastic housing with all three switchs in it (roll off, pattern and attenuator).

Yeah Mike I m not sure where to start with it. Very hard to get to the under side of the switch.

Henry- PMI Audio has among the most rabid customer service department in the known world. I'll bet you PMI will happily fix it for free, just so they can see what went wrong with it. Just put it back together and call PMI Audio- really.-Richie

Thanks Richard I'll try a shot with PMI.

Let us know how that works out.

Well the gentleman I spoke with said that it's more than likely the capsule and repair would be $65. plus shipping and I said *OUCH*.

I tried every polite way I know to see if they would like to know what is wrong with it at no expense to me and it turned out to be a no-go.
He saying that the microphone was primarily just a promo microphone package when purchasing the TwinQ (which is GREAT!) and even the coast to repair the microphone would be a matter of question on my end, possible not worth the effort. They go for $250. when you want to purchase one straight out.

Oh well -- maybe I'll send it to Oktava mod for modification and be done with it, or just use it in cardioid position from here on out.
I could try and do the repair myself but like I said earlier ..... It's getting harder and harder to work on things with my sight the way it is. Maybe I should get one of those large magnifying glass with a light attached on a boom stand! Which I tried before but is kinda awkward for me.

Don't really want to sell it either for it sounds pretty good --- in cardioid position!

Back