Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: breath noise

Thanks

breath noise

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm a newbie to use of condenser microphones. My first attempt to record acoustic guitar revealed very nice tone but also the relatively loud noise of me breathing. I'd appreciate advice on coping with this problem (other than stop breathing...)

Thanks
    try aiming the mic more at the guitar, yet a little farther away, say 12" - 18".
    At the 12th fret pointing toward the sound hole
    In His Name
    Big Kenny

Thanks
    Here's the hard truth- Being a recording artist involves changing the way you play and sing. Open your mouth and breath more slowly. No, I'm not telling you to stop breathing. I'm telling you to *control* your breathing. Just stop making the damn noise, already.- "and lose the watch. It sounds like a grandfather clock".-Richie

Thanks
    if you use compression and expansion after you have recorded your tracks, and you find an appropriate level, you can bring up everything which is quiet, resulting in a uniform waveform. Most recording programs offer it, but the quality of compression ranges... just remember that word "compression"
    Tyler Ferrari

Thanks
    Ha, ha! When I did the first vocal take after I got a good mic, I soloed it in Wavelab to cut any extraneous noise. I was listening to it, and thought, "What is that?"

After every phrase, I would hold my breath for about a quarter second, then suddenly release it through my nose. These nasal plosives are super annoying, almost embarassing. I cut them all out by hand.

Now I gotta relearn breathing and singing.
    The fabulous Naiant Mics, perfect for acoustic instruments!

If you don't have DavidK's CD, you are a loser.

My tunes. Thanks!
    NB
    DA BEARS!

Thanks

Condensers mics

Welcome to the world of condenser mics. When I record in my studio(living room) I have to unplug the refridgerator, take the noisy clock off the wall and turn off the HVAC. You will learn to breath quietly, it just takes practice. Condensers are wonderful but they pick up EVERYTHING!

Thanks
    Not only do they pick up everything but they seem to magnify the small stuff.

But you didn't say what your current mic and positioning was so it is hard to say how to change it.

Thanks
    What Richard M said... I had to relearn to breath when I started doing acoustic guitar stuff, it's not that hard. Position the mics where you get the best sound from the guitar, not where it minimises breath noise, and learn to breath slowly and deeply through your mouth only - exhaling through your nose is a higher pitch sound generally - if you use your mouth with slow deep breaths, you won't be able to pick it out of the lowest frequencies from the guitar, which you'll probably be cutting with EQ anyway.

Luck!

Thanks
    Go Armistice. It is the tendency of engineers who record people with imperfect technique (almost everyone) to use mic placement and post-production processing to solve problems that can be better solved by the player cleaning up their act. One of the great advantages of home recording is you can take the time to improve your technique. Don't try to fix noise w/ noise reduction, Just don't make that noise. If a dynamic stage mic is an audience, a studio condenser is a music critic.-Richie

Thanks
    Ah the memories!

About ten years ago when I started getting more serious about recording I kept hearing this weird noise whenever I laid down an acoustic guitar track. For about 2 days it mystified me until I figured out it was my pants rubbing against each other because of the way I crossed my legs and rocked my righ leg created this swishy noise.

I never realized I did that until I kept hearing swish-swish-swish in time with the music going on.

Fast forward to now, I recorded a band where the stupid drummer let a major fart rip and it got picked up fairly audibly in the track (slower part, mostly high hat and rimshots... and an ass ripping fart). He didn't even remember doing it, and we had to play it back a few times before he would believe we weren't messing with him.

Heck, at first we didn't believe it... tape is rolling and all of a sudden... RRRRRRRRrrrrip! OMG it was funny when we figured it out.

Thread Information