Beyerdynamic M69(NC) question

tatertot1999

I have a beloved early TG model M88, and a friend of mine decided to purchase an old M69 NC model after hearing how the 88 sounded on his voice. I had to replace the upper foam in my M88 basket after I got it due to it being rotten. Would've replaced the lower basket foam to if it were an easier job, and it was still intact. I told him he should probably go ahead and source the part and do a replacement just to have some peace of mind. Anyway, got the mic today and opened it up, and here's no foam in the upper or lower basket. It does appear that the basket might have been off before (missing one of three screws holding it on). The thing is in remarkable condition, with original box and paperwork including the freq response chart for that particular microphone. While there is no foam (or trace of remnants) there is what appears to me as a very fine metal screen (like a metal pop shield in a studio) wedged between the top basket and another one identical to the top basket but at 45 degrees. Looks seamless and as if it was supposed to be that way. The lower basket is the same deal. This mic is a silver basket model for reference. My question is: Do you think it came from the factory this way? I do not know why someone would go to the effort of cutting and fitting that fine metal into the basket, much less remove the capsule and do it to the bottom as well. My M88's black basket looks just like a typical sure basket (1 layer with the foam underneath). The 69 does not have any excessive plosive issues (perhaps better than my 88) and the polar response is in line with what it should be. Proximity effect also seems to be in line. So given this information, I do not see a need to place the foams in there. Really just wondering if they came from the factory with foam inserts at this time, or if its been monkyed with. 1. Its been modified with another layer of screen 2. It's had the foam removed from both baskets. Regardless, KILLER sounding microphone.

Back