Beta 52a or AKG d112?

Chris Jahn

Of these two affordable "industry standard" mics , the shure beta 52a and the AKG d112. What's the best? The most thump for your buck and why? Keep in mind I personally like really crazy "modern" kick sounds.

Try the Audix D6. It's in the same price range as the other two and gives a great out-of-the-box modern rock/metal sound, but can also be mellowed out for less heavy songs. You can get some pretty good used deals from used.guitarcenter.com, just call them and ask them to ship the mic to your house.

I read up on the two that were suggested, I like what i read, but what is it about the two I mentioned? Why are they everywhere, why are the ones you mentioned "better"?

I've got the d112 but I like the size of the Beta 52. Looks like it would be easier to fit in tight spaces.

This post has nothing to do with your question. Lol.

I am a big fan of the D112, I also own an original D12 (for that older sound). If you want a modern click kick sound the D112 will do it for you. Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, try a SM57.

Alan.

A 57 can indeed do the trick in a kick. I've used both the 52 and the D-112 (and I have a couple of D-112's). I don't think you could go wrong with either mic. I will say I tried the Audix mics once and didn't like them. YMMV.

I had the D112 and own the 52. Both are good.
The only reason I got rid of the 112 was because I didn't realize I could have snuck both of em by the wife.
:D

I am a big fan of the D112, I also own an original D12 (for that older sound). If you want a modern click kick sound the D112 will do it for you. Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, try a SM57.

Alan.

Also consider turning the d112 the wrong way around. That is to say, point the backside at the batter head. Takes away some of the annoying (to me) clickiness and has a different character, though it requires more EQ.

I read up on the two that were suggested, I like what i read, but what is it about the two I mentioned? Why are they everywhere, why are the ones you mentioned "better"?

Personal preference I would say.

I have the AKG D112, Ev R20, Beta 52a solo or injunction with the Beta 91 (great combo AND will possibly suit you best), Shure SM7b, Sennheiser e602 & e902, Heil PR40, Sennheiser MD421 II and gave away an Audix D6.

I always start with the Sennheiser e602 and most of the times it will do the job. All of the above mentioned microphones do get used, it's just a matter of the project at hand at any given time.

I like the D112, but not because it's a kick drum standard. Not unlike the Sennheiser MD421, it's just a good dynamic mic that can be used for a lot of things. It's good on acoustic bass (what it was designed for), bass cabs, voicevers, Djembe, and certain vocals. But that modern clicky kick drum sound is not its strongest suit. I expect more of a classic rock sound from it. I use it for country/bluegrass, blues, jazz, R&B, and classic rock. For that modern clicky sound, I prefer Audix D6. I'm amazed Moresound gave one away. It's a punk/alternative standard.-Richie

I don't know Richard. I've never really liked the D6. Not that it's a bad microphone, I guess it's just a personal preference.
The D6 (and for that matter the Sennheiser e602 or e902) wasn't even included in the Pro Audio Review's *workhorse Dynamic Microphones* Look HERE
The shoot out included the AKG d112, Sennheiser md421, Shure beta52, EV re320, Heil pr40, Shure sm7b. The workout for these microphones included Kick drum, bass and guitar cabs, male and female vocals, trumpet and a few other duties.

The winner the EV RE320 was chosen between the performing artists and the review writer/recording engineer.

For anyone who doesn't receive PRO AUDIO REVIEW magazine I strongly suggest subscribing to the rag or find it on line to read ..... for it's a great source of information and I believe the only one left in the US that is in publication solely in the vein of pro audio. I get mine for free. I guess it's all on how you fill out the form, I have a few audio businesses.

Back