Best Vocal mic for Under $1000.00

Slaytallica

Hey everyone. I'm Looking for a very good sounding condensor mic strictly for vocals for under $1000.00 what do you guys recomend? I've done a search but I was not able to narrow it down to a good vocal mic for under a $1000.00. Thanks for your help

Peace

Slay :)

Last edited:
you about to get flamed man...

but, under $1000? well, what kind of music do you do? deep voice? low voice?

im going to assume you do rap music... if you have a deep voice get a Rode NTK... other great mics for rap:

ksm44
ADK Vienna
Studio Projects C1 or C3
Maybe a used Nuemann U87

theres a shitload out there man... do some research...

youll get flamed coz this questions has been asked thousands of times... i dont really care honestly, but other members here do... i just assumed u did rap coz most of the people sayin "what is the best mic under..." are rappers...

anyway... for all kinds of music?

the mics I listed are still great mics for all purposes... or, you can check these out:

$300-$600: Shure KSM32, AKG C414B-ULS, Studio Projects C3, BLUE Baby Bottle, Sennheiser MD441

$600+: Neumann TLM 103, Studio Projects T3, Audio Technica 4050/4060, AKG C-414, Rode NTK.

Slaytallica - oh yeah, that really sounds like a rapper. If I was gonna jump to conclusions, which I generally don't, I'd go with metal, not rap.

$1000 will buy some really nice mics these days. But we'll need a bit more info for anyone to offer any meaningful advice, like what the mic is for (just your voice, or a general purpose project studio mic), and if for a particular voice, what are the characteristics of that voice? Also, what preamps will you be using it with?

-RD

Two mics in that price range jumped out at me first. One would be a Blue Blueberry, the other would be a Soundelux U195.

Diffusion said:
youll get flamed coz this questions has been asked thousands of times... i dont really care honestly, but other members here do...

I think we had a large thread about this already. I argued that If you care then maybe you shouldn't answer the damn question, or look at the thread for that matter. Anyway lets not start this again. I'd more likely "flame" him because he isn't being very specific, but with a few posts his intentions have been revealed as always.

Sounds like your looking for an all purpose mic that works on most any voices that show up. I'm not sure many of these exist, and I've got to say If your gonna run a studio as your personal business and you are serious about it, I'd get quite a few of the well known mics that have specific characteristics that vary from each other greatly. Since you haven't asked that question though I'll try to answer.

MXL v69- Heard a lot of great stuff about this one, but most say its got a very loud top-end. I'm looking to buying one myself and testing this out a bit. It should sound great on a lot of vocalists, but when you get into rougher voices I think a nice dark mic would complement it. I would not recommend this for your specific needs.

Audio Technica 4050- Once again, quite a few people will recommend this one. Being relatively flat this is most likely gonna give you a strait representation of all singers. This is something I look for greatly. An other plus about this is that Its great for doubling over on quite a few stuff. I've heard over 50 people claim to having their best cab sound from the 4050. I don't know too much about it (not owning it, but will soon enough), But I can tell you I've done enough research to know its a damn good buy. There is a bit of boost above 5k, but on the cardioid pattern its really not enough to do to much besides add some clarity up top. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...f080feef8084aea/orig/at4050_freq_cardioid.jpg

AKG C-414- Now I'm not much of a fan for AKGs but I've know plenty of people who would swear by this mic. I also know plenty who would do the opposite. Personally I know nothing about it, but the AKG website may have some good stuff. Download the files for it and you'll find that its flat in all patterns, this makes me like AKG a bit more, but I like flat mics personally.

Nuemann U87- If you can get this used for 1,000, by all means go for it. Thats all I have to say.

Shure KSM-27- I own this one, and love every part about it. Great on vocals so far, especially on male voices. Very dark sounding, and great for the money. Not many people know about this one, but I happen to love it. Its really not good with bad singers I've got to say, but no mic really should be.

Studio Projects C3- Like most mics this one is relatively flat except up around 5k where a boost starts and peaks at around 10k with about a 5 db boost. Seems like It would be suitable for most anything, this may be your best bet. Heard only good about it.

Soundelux U195- Great low end response, would be great for most singers with hard voices. Good top end too, Its for the most part flat with only like +or-2 db boosts and cuts. I'd love to own one, but I dont have 1k to drop on a mic right now.

Now I know almost nothing about most of these besides a lot of forum posts and reading, and a lot of personal interest on every mic on the planet. My opinion says that the more mics you own that are different from each other the better, mostly because the more options. There really is no such thing as a bad mic (given that it works properly), and a really cheap one can be good too. I go crazy with these posts sometimes cause LDCs are my favorite part about engineering. I think I'm crazy.

Ben

Robert D said:
Slaytallica - oh yeah, that really sounds like a rapper. If I was gonna jump to conclusions, which I generally don't, I'd go with metal, not rap.

$1000 will buy some really nice mics these days. But we'll need a bit more info for anyone to offer any meaningful advice, like what the mic is for (just your voice, or a general purpose project studio mic), and if for a particular voice, what are the characteristics of that voice? Also, what preamps will you be using it with?

-RD

Hey all thanks for the repsponses. I'm looking for a mic strickly for recording vocals. I record alot of rock, metal and some jazz blues stuff. So I'm looking for a diverse mic that can handle most any genre of music. Something with a nice clear balance warm tone to it. Thanks again for your help.

Peace

Slay

emergencyexit said:
I think we had a large thread about this already. I argued that If you care then maybe you shouldn't answer the damn question, or look at the thread for that matter. Anyway lets not start this again. I'd more likely "flame" him because he isn't being very specific, but with a few posts his intentions have been revealed as always.

Sounds like your looking for an all purpose mic that works on most any voices that show up. I'm not sure many of these exist, and I've got to say If your gonna run a studio as your personal business and you are serious about it, I'd get quite a few of the well known mics that have specific characteristics that vary from each other greatly. Since you haven't asked that question though I'll try to answer.

MXL v69- Heard a lot of great stuff about this one, but most say its got a very loud top-end. I'm looking to buying one myself and testing this out a bit. It should sound great on a lot of vocalists, but when you get into rougher voices I think a nice dark mic would complement it. I would not recommend this for your specific needs.

Audio Technica 4050- Once again, quite a few people will recommend this one. Being relatively flat this is most likely gonna give you a strait representation of all singers. This is something I look for greatly. An other plus about this is that Its great for doubling over on quite a few stuff. I've heard over 50 people claim to having their best cab sound from the 4050. I don't know too much about it (not owning it, but will soon enough), But I can tell you I've done enough research to know its a damn good buy. There is a bit of boost above 5k, but on the cardioid pattern its really not enough to do to much besides add some clarity up top. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...f080feef8084aea/orig/at4050_freq_cardioid.jpg

AKG C-414- Now I'm not much of a fan for AKGs but I've know plenty of people who would swear by this mic. I also know plenty who would do the opposite. Personally I know nothing about it, but the AKG website may have some good stuff. Download the files for it and you'll find that its flat in all patterns, this makes me like AKG a bit more, but I like flat mics personally.

Nuemann U87- If you can get this used for 1,000, by all means go for it. Thats all I have to say.

Shure KSM-27- I own this one, and love every part about it. Great on vocals so far, especially on male voices. Very dark sounding, and great for the money. Not many people know about this one, but I happen to love it. Its really not good with bad singers I've got to say, but no mic really should be.

Studio Projects C3- Like most mics this one is relatively flat except up around 5k where a boost starts and peaks at around 10k with about a 5 db boost. Seems like It would be suitable for most anything, this may be your best bet. Heard only good about it.

Soundelux U195- Great low end response, would be great for most singers with hard voices. Good top end too, Its for the most part flat with only like +or-2 db boosts and cuts. I'd love to own one, but I dont have 1k to drop on a mic right now.

Now I know almost nothing about most of these besides a lot of forum posts and reading, and a lot of personal interest on every mic on the planet. My opinion says that the more mics you own that are different from each other the better, mostly because the more options. There really is no such thing as a bad mic (given that it works properly), and a really cheap one can be good too. I go crazy with these posts sometimes cause LDCs are my favorite part about engineering. I think I'm crazy.

Ben

Emergency, thanks so much for your input. It has helped alot. I'm currently building a home studio for my personal projects and to record some friends. Nothing full time as of yet. Right now the only pre-amps I'm using is the one in my Digi 001 Interface and on my VS2480DVD. I just ordered an Avalon AD-2044 Mic Pre and I am looking to add a mic with that. I might be able to go up to $1500.00 for a mic but I would like to try to stay in the thousand dollar range. Thanks

Peace

Slay

Slaytallica said:
Emergency, thanks so much for your input. It has helped alot. I'm currently building a home studio for my personal projects and to record some friends. Nothing full time as of yet. Right now the only pre-amps I'm using is the one in my Digi 001 Interface and on my VS2480DVD. I just ordered an Avalon AD-2044 Mic Pre and I am looking to add a mic with that. I might be able to go up to $1500.00 for a mic but I would like to try to stay in the thousand dollar range. Thanks

Peace

Slay

You can easily find a good mic for under 1k, infact as we have all said you can easily find a couple. I don't have enough experience yet to be at the point where I can actually hear much difference between to pretty good pres. I definatly hear the diference in clarity when switching audiobuddy to dmp3, but otherwise I haven't developed a good enough ear yet, so I'm all about mics right now. I'm gonna change my suggestions a bit and say that the AKG 414 would be pretty much perfect for you, and you can pick up an mxl v69 to go with it. Both together should be less than 1k, infact you could even pick up a KEL hm-1 while your at it with the extra 100, though I don't know why you would do that haha.

Ben

It might be that not only can you get a couple of good vocal mics with that budget, but that you should. They haven't made a mic yet, at any price, that is the right mic for all voices on all songs. Without diluting the funds for the main vocal mic too much, you might do well to pick out a secondary vocal mic with different characteristics. Just as an example, I have an Oktava MK-319 that cost very little, but it's amazing how often I put up a mic costing several times as much that just doesn't do it for the track, but a subsequent take with the 319 nails it.

-RD

The AT 4050 is a great mic.

For CLOSE to 1k you can get some great ones:
The Charter Oak 538b being one of them. Love that mic. Look for the review of it I did in the new EQ magazine. It really is great. Works on many sources.

The GT MD1a. Great tube mic that is great on many sources. I have an original one, i would suggest looking for one of those. They can be found for around 750 usually. Maybe less. I got mine for 600 dollars, and i use it as much as some of my more expensive mics for sure.

Used soundelux U95. Use that one all the time as well. Maybe the best thing soundelux ever made... just my opinion...

AT 4047. great mic all around.

AT 4033. another great microphone for not a lot of money. Depends heavily on a good pre to really sing (what mic doesnt I guess, right?)

Hope that inspires you to look more!

Back