Best snare mic to use for recoding

actually, I think it is the m160, even though there are many naysayers about sticking a ribbon on a drum. In over 25+ years, I never ruined one.

sm57 is always a good choice. i also like the i5 and have never used one of the beyers but hear great things. i have also heard of people using alot of different condensers. Also if you are on a budget the gls es 57 is a good mic. Its ganna depend on which one you like because alot of mics arent any less "good" or of quality, just sound different.

i've been considering buying the m201 for awhile now. how does that and an sm57 compare? is good for any other applications?

richardsorr said:
i've been considering buying the m201 for awhile now. how does that and an sm57 compare? is good for any other applications?

Not that I'm impartial, but . . .

The M201 totally and completely kills the SM57 on every application, including those that you wouldn't think about for the 57, like acoustic guitar. It is great on snare, IMHO as good as an MD421 on toms but sleeker, I hear it's good on horns, I don't mind it on guitar cabs but I only have a pair so there usually isn't one to spare. What else? A live vocalist that really project, otherwise I'd choose my M88. Overheads if you have to. Piano. I wish I had 5 of them :o And it comes with the best mic clip ever.

To be fair, it's $100 more than a 57.

Yup, what he said. I forgot where the site is but the statement is something like "a 201 is what a 57 would be if it were a mic"

mshilarious said:
Not that I'm impartial, but . . .

The M201 totally and completely kills the SM57 on every application, including those that you wouldn't think about for the 57, like acoustic guitar. It is great on snare, IMHO as good as an MD421 on toms but sleeker, I hear it's good on horns, I don't mind it on guitar cabs but I only have a pair so there usually isn't one to spare. What else? A live vocalist that really project, otherwise I'd choose my M88. Overheads if you have to. Piano. I wish I had 5 of them :o And it comes with the best mic clip ever.

To be fair, it's $100 more than a 57.

I've been using it on guitar cab. I liked it at first but I'm starting to change my mind. There's something kind of grainy with it. It seems to work better on fast attack/quick decay things like drums than a distorted guitar amp.

Back