Best quality / most affordable Audio Interface for the RE20...

Mike Rophoné

I’m after a new Audio Interface for my RE20 and FetHead.

I previously owned the Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2, and it served me well. However, its drivers are no longer supported by Mackie, and I have no end of issues getting it to work properly with Windows 10.

Ideally, I’d like an Audio Interface in the same price range as the Mackie, and because I use my RE20 for podcasting, as well as voice over, low-noise preamps and plenty of gain (as well as dynamic range) are a priority. I don’t want to rely on the FetHead completely.

What would be your suggestions?

Thanks, guys!

These days, just about any audio interface will do the job.

How many inputs do you need?

If you are doing podcasting or voice overs and just need one, then the Rode AI interface might do the job I suggest Rode because typically they have very low noise..

These days, just about any audio interface will do the job.

How many inputs do you need?

If you are doing podcasting or voice overs and just need one, then the Rode AI interface might do the job I suggest Rode because typically they have very low noise..

At the moment, I probably only need one input, as my co-host and I are working remotely, but it would be good to have a second input, for when life gets back to normal.

I did look at the RODE AI-1 briefly, but it looks a little too simple?

Simple isn't a bad thing. There isn't a lot of complexity to the more basic interfaces anyway. Gain, sometimes line/instrument switches, phantom power, headphone/output levels. That should cover most of the controls.

You could also look at the Audient Evo 4. That has two mic inputs, but again, it's a simple interface, almost perfectly designed for things like podcasting, but good enough to record music.

Most all the current generation of interfaces will be running 100+dB of S/N ratio. I suspect that most mics will have higher self noise than the interfaces themselves. The Audient has 58dB mic gain which should handle your RE20. The Rode is a bit lower at 45dB. The RE20 has a somewhat low output, so the additional gain may be a plus.

Simple isn't a bad thing. There isn't a lot of complexity to the more basic interfaces anyway. Gain, sometimes line/instrument switches, phantom power, headphone/output levels. That should cover most of the controls.

You could also look at the Audient Evo 4. That has two mic inputs, but again, it's a simple interface, almost perfectly designed for things like podcasting, but good enough to record music.

Most all the current generation of interfaces will be running 100+dB of S/N ratio. I suspect that most mics will have higher self noise than the interfaces themselves. The Audient has 58dB mic gain which should handle your RE20. The Rode is a bit lower at 45dB. The RE20 has a somewhat low output, so the additional gain may be a plus.

I hadn't heard of the Audient Evo 4. I'll check it out, thank you.

What are the general thoughts on interfaces like the Mackie Onyx Producer 2.2 or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen)? I haven't really heard anyone speak of Mackie since the Onyx Blackjack, and the Focusrite seems to be on every YouTuber's desk.

Take a look at the UR22c. Best pre's at this pricepoint imho. I ran my RE20 on it and as expected had to crank the input gain quite a bit more than other mics, however it stayed crystal clear with no floor noise issues. That being said, running the RE20 through my Pre73 and then into the line level of the unit is pure magic! Smooth, clear and didn't break the bank.

I don't know the Mackie unit, but the Scarlett should also be ok. The gain of the mic pres are listed at 56dB. That is close to the Evo4.

One note about the UR22C is that it is listed as USB3. Make sure you have USB3 available. Some older computers are USB2 only.

I don't know the Mackie unit, but the Scarlett should also be ok. The gain of the mic pres are listed at 56dB. That is close to the Evo4.

One note about the UR22C is that it is listed as USB3. Make sure you have USB3 available. Some older computers are USB2 only.

Works just fine connected to USB2 also. USB3 is just a bit faster transfer.

I’m after a new Audio Interface for my RE20 and FetHead.

I previously owned the Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2, and it served me well. However, its drivers are no longer supported by Mackie, and I have no end of issues getting it to work properly with Windows 10.

Ideally, I’d like an Audio Interface in the same price range as the Mackie, and because I use my RE20 for podcasting, as well as voice over, low-noise preamps and plenty of gain (as well as dynamic range) are a priority. I don’t want to rely on the FetHead completely.

What would be your suggestions?

Thanks, guys!

Hi Mike,

I've just been in the market for an interface and noticed the Tascam Ministudio Creator. I mention it because it has a broadcast mode with features such as mic mute, sound effect triggers and even voice enhancement on board. One or two channel models

They've just been discontinued, so you might pick one up cheap. BTW, I ended up with a Tascam US2x2, which seems to be fine with my Mac.

Back