Best Mic for Video Camera/Live Events?

Bassman2003

Hello,

I have reading this forum for a while and have found a lot of good information.

I have a video business and would like to get a high quality mic for my broadcast video camera.

The camera has phantom power and XLR connectors.

I need this mic to record live events that I am taping.

The cameras are usually at a distance, so a mic that can bring out some presence would be great.

I have been using a MXL 991 condenser which is o.k. (better than what shipped with the camera) after I EQ it in my editor.

Also, I need the mic to be the size of the MXL 991 (cigar shaped) to fit in my camera mount.

Budget - up to $300(+-)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Maybe you'ld want to get a shotgun mic. I can't remember its name but I used one once that had interchangable chambers, a shotgun chamber and a shorter chamber to pick up more of the surounding area.

Shotguns are good for plays and stuff like that though.

yes, shotguns are very standard for attachment to a video camera. Depending on your application you might also want to consider some of the single point stereo microphones if you need a stereo image. Remember that the ones sold for minidisc players use plug-in-power, which is different than phantom power, so you would need a separate battery power box.

Around USC, students tend to use Sennheisers with interchangeable capsules as well as the AKG Blue line of interchangeable capsule mics. I've never been a mic and boom handler, but mixing stuff afterwards, they seem to get good results with these...

The 825 is nice, but I've never used it at a distance. The problem with getting "presence" at a distance is that the farther from the source, the more of the room you hear. That's why people use those shotgun mics. They are highly directional so as to cut out as much environmental noise as possible.

Innovations had a good suggestion with the MD mics, I use one a lot. But hell, you've got xlr and phantom power, might as well use it.

If you go the MD mic route, most of them use batteries as well as plug-in power.

Oooh, just saw the last post. Always wanted to try one of those NT-4s.

It's decided. Buy a Rode NT-4 and tell us all about it. :D

Back