Best dynamic mic for vocals ?

Excluding ribbon mics, which are a form of dynamic mic, Shure SM7/SM7B (the same mic with different armatures) and Sennheiser MD441 seem to top the list.-Richie

let me add:

dynamics color the voice quite a bit. so you might want to have a few lying around and try them all with a singer...

of course this applies to all mics, but with dynamics even more so. for example that "honky" characteristic of the sm57 can in some cases magnify honkiness in a voice, or cancel it out...

anyway, let me add that i like the beyer m201 with that big windscreen for vocalists who like to hold the mic and eat it.

Andre, are you recording just your own voice, or also other singers?
Knowledge of your "voice type(s)" would also help narrow things down, along with whether the singer(s) have any issues like sibilance or strong plosives. Style of material is also a factor.
Choice of mic pre or mixer also affects final quality.

Not knowing any further info at this point, the EV RE20 is probably the safest one to try first as it works on a wide variety of vocal types, has the (patented) Variable D design to mitigate proximity effect, and tends to do well with sibilant singers.
The EV PL20 is basically the same microphone, except it will cost you around $75 less typically on the used market.

Chris

P.S. An omni dynamic, like the EV 635a, tends to "color" the voice
less than a unidirectional.

Hi!

It's just to record my voice. I have am SM57 and had a NT1 which I sold. For mic pre's I'm getting a Grace 101 and I have an RCA BA71c.

I'm looking for a LC mic and a good dynamic one.
For LC mic I think I'm going with the SP C1 (Iwas considering the Baby Bottle but it's too much for me). And I also want a good dynamic mic.

I've checked the EV mics, they seem nice but here in Europe they are quite expensive. Perhaps an MD 441 is a good option.

André

How good does the SM57 sound on your voice?

Those it suits, tend to do particulary well with;
1) Shure SM7 (or SM7b)
2) Beyer M88TG (or less rugged M88)
3) Sennheiser 421

(Per posts at rec.audio.pro)
These comments also seem to hold true for myself, as the M88 and 421 have given me good results IMHO. Haven't tried the SM7 yet. Well known gear pundit Fletcher has referred to it as the
"hi-fi" version of the SM57-which he also thinks highly of.

Given you're in Europe, the Beyer and the Sennheiser could work
out well for you. Getting a nice used one will save more $$ too.
You can pick up a M88 for around a third less $$ than a 441.
The M88 and 441 will demand more mike technique from you,
as the response pattern is much tighter than a SM57 or 421.
That's why I keep some more forgiving mikes around for when a singer wants to move while performing! :)

Best of luck on your selections,

Chris

P.S. If your voice is in anyway sibilant avoid the 421 MKII.
(brighter than previous models)

This may be a different post, but to those of you who use dynamics to record vocals, how do you decide when it's right to try the dynamic. I record most of my vocals through an SP C1. I've tried recording with SM57s and 58s, however, I've never thought they sounded as good as LDCs. Are there certain types of songs or voices that tend to lend themselves to recording vocals with dynamics? Thanks.

I like dynamics better on louder, and sometimes more aggressive things. Drums . . . dirty/bluesy vocals, etc. When it comes to comparing an sm57 to a C1, it's really apples to oranges.

also, on louder, more agressive songs, i find that you can get the voice to sit in the mix a little better with a dynamic.

when you are fighting for space against loud guitars and drums, i find that a vocal part tracked with a dynamic and compressed a bit, with a hair of eqed "air" and a low cut (depending), works really well. easy to get it to sit there loudly, but without being too loud...

when i track with something like an LD condenser i find that the levels become really tricky. it will sound perfect, then there will be this annoying "t" or something like that which is way too loud, and i usually have to ride the fader.

however, soloed out the LD usually seems like a much better track...

Another possibility, especially for "crooners", is a good ribbon microphone,
like a Beyer M160 or M260. The M500 has a presence peak similar to a Shure
SM57 or 58. It was Sinatra's choice for live performances BTW.

Chris

I've had limited experience with dynamics for voice. For me, the SM57 really works well on anything I am trying to belt out. Sometimes I wonder why I don't just use it all the time! I use a Beta 57 live and its my favorite live vocal mic ever. Its an incredible price/performance mic too.

Back