Best Condenser Mic Around $500?

Best condenser around $500?

• Total voters

chef13007

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new condenser mic for recording vocals, acoustic guitar, and maybe some marshall cabs also. It'll be running into my Digi 002

I've looked at the Blue Baby Bottle, Blue Bluebird, Rode NTK, Rode K2, Shure KSM44 to give you an idea of my price range. I'll probably be buying on eBay.

I was wanting to know if there are any others that any of you would suggest.
How do you feel about these mics? Any experiences/problems/loves?

Thanks!!

No such thing as "best". These are all good mics - try them all and go with what YOU like.... and then record really really good musicians and take credit for "their sound".

The correct answer for all mic questions is the AT4050, for as long as 8th Street is selling the refurbs for $350. It is rather awesome on acoustic in figure 8, works on many vocs, I haven't been overwhelmed on cabs yet, but I haven't explored much.

Hey Chef,

I bought an NTK about 6 months ago and have been using it for the exact same things you want to use it for. I love mine mine on vocals, acoustic, even room mic for drums (still prefer a 57 on guitar though).
BUT! I haven't tried the others.
I'm just letting you know that I dont regret getting the NTK at all...

Scoop.
Starplayer A-OK

hey ermghoti, where are you finding the 4050s for 350?? I checked the 8thstreet.com website and couldn't find it other than new.

This is limited to mics I've either used or been around while being used...
Used: AKG c414 - the old ones occasionally come up around 5 bills
New: at4047, at4050, ADK Hamburg - I'll take those over the Baby Bottle anyday, which is a fine mic but (to me) a bit too imposing.

I've noticed that the Baby Bottle seems to sound best on female vocals; I avoid it for male vocals. It's pretty darn good on acoustic guitar; second only to a C414 of the mics I use. It's a strange mic. Smooth sounding next to a AT4033 (which I love) and picks up more detail than I like compared to a MXL V67. The Baby Bottle gets the least use of all the mics I own.

My guess it a Rode or Shure on your list might serve you better for the price range.

chef13007 said:
hey ermghoti, where are you finding the 4050s for 350?? I checked the 8thstreet.com website and couldn't find it other than new.

They must've dried up. Best deal is back to $399 on eBay.

I would seriously consider an AT4047 if I were you. I have a pair of them and absolutely love them. They work great for many different types of vocalists as well as a/gtr's and e/gtr's. Since I have a pair, I like to use them for overheads or room mics on drums as well.

OKtava Mk219 modified by Michael Joly mic cost used around 75 to 100 and the mod is 150 so for about 500 you could have a pair
oktavamod.com This guy does a great job and turn around time is super fast like three to five days

ermghoti said:
They must've dried up. Best deal is back to $399 on eBay.

Retailers that have refurbs generally have them come and go. I would just keep checking every day or two til they have something. WWBW (or music 123) seems to deal a lot in b-stocks and refurbs. You might try them if they normally stock the 4050 (i have no idea if they do). I did score a Hartke Attack bass preamp pedal new from 8th street new for around $50 recently. It evidently was intended to be a demo. When it arrived it came in this giant heavy box. They had shipped it mounted in this giant steel display that they got from Hartke! It didnt appear that they had ever displayed it. I can blame them as the whole thing appeared embarassingly stupid. Cool gizmo for $50 though.

Well, I voted for the Shure, but AT is what went thru my mind before I clicked on the link and saw the choices in the poll..... just be aware that you can also get a Beyer M130 ribbon for that price.....

Since I'm assuming you don't wish to pony up for an additional $100 I'll go with a recommend on the Rode NT2000. This is the "Swiss Army Knife" of microphones as far as "non tube" condensers. It is about as good as mics get in so many regards. Not to mention the non exsistant self noise, this baby is dead quiet. Rich with a wide open airy high end. With the infinitely adjustable pattern adjustment and rolloff characteristics it is a born winner. Solid as any Neuman I've had my hands on. It is basically their "no compromise" mic. I preferred the K2 for other reasons, but as I said it will cost you an additional hundred bucks new.

The AT3035 sounds better than most of the them on the list. why? because i personally tried out all those mics off the shelves.

Back