Best Condenser Mic Around $500?

Best condenser around $500?

• Total voters
but really, go cheap ribbon-- see my ribbon manifesto here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=230648

+1 on the cheap ribbon. Apex 205, awesome out the box, better modded

Joly moded Oktava MK319.

+1 on the Oktavamod 319; awesome. Stock 319 is really good (I used it on vocals, sax, cabs, percussion) Oktavamod is better. Well worth the dough!!

You can always buy the mic first and then send it to mr joly for mods later if you wish.

long

The correct answer for all mic questions is the AT4050, for as long as 8th Street is selling the refurbs for $350. It is rather awesome on acoustic in figure 8, works on many vocs, I haven't been overwhelmed on cabs yet, but I haven't explored much.

I second this mic. I use mine quite alot and at that price, buy 2.

Excuse me? Don't buy ANY mics from China? None of them are any good? Here's the Studio Projects T3 on a couple of songs:

LizWilliams (Acoustic guitar and Vocals)

Spoonfed Tribe (Flute and Vocals)

And as a side note, Spoonfed Tribe just got signed to Universal, and they aren't redoing any of the songs, including this one. They will repackage their albums, but the record company is very happy with the sound of the albums.

You have to admit that China makes alot of turds...admittedly the SP stuff for the most part is decent...as long as you dont buy the cheap B line...I got alot of use out of that old C1.

Arround $500 you have basically the whole AT40 series including the AT4047.

The KSM mics KSM44 and KSM32

AKG214

Theres a world of mics at $500 there.

Studio Projects C1

I love this mic. Some mic snobs may scoff due to the price point but I am a believer now. Fantastic for female vocals or a guy with a high range. It has a little bump around 7k but sounds similar to a U87 other than that. There are actually some side by side recording clips comparing them out there floating around. At any rate, I love mine. And you can get 2 for your $500 budget.

What is the best way to know where a mic is made? Is it just experience with certain brands and types? I'm looking to buy a nice LDC for vocals, and I would prefer it not to be made in China. How much does that limit me? Is there a list anywhere of non-china mics? so many questions...:confused:

seems it is difficult to get a mic which is not made in China.
it is said that AKG Perception line is made in Southern China(Guangdong), Shure new mics are made in Northern China. Neumann new mics are made in Mid. China(....). SP mics seems to be made in Beijing 797. it is said that all the other cheap mics are made in Ningbo China including Blue mic/Rode mics.

I would seriously consider an AT4047 if I were you. I have a pair of them and absolutely love them. They work great for many different types of vocalists as well as a/gtr's and e/gtr's. Since I have a pair, I like to use them for overheads or room mics on drums as well.

I second that...for vocals...for multitrack many instruments...KSM32...you can get many more tracks with a mic like the 32...but not as flattering for vocals as the AT4047 seems to be for everyone...

The used SHure KSM 27 is the same 1" capsule as the KSM 44 and they can be found for like $150, sometimes with the shock absorber mic holder ($60 each)....its one of the best mic deals Ive found to spend a little scratch, get a quality tank tough mic with a chineese mic price.

The used SHure KSM 27 is the same 1" capsule as the KSM 44 and they can be found for like $150, sometimes with the shock absorber mic holder ($60 each)....its one of the best mic deals Ive found to spend a little scratch, get a quality tank tough mic with a chineese mic price.

I have the KSM44...I dont think they are the same...but I didnt buy a 27...but from seeing it used here and there it looks like a decent deal...My KSM 32 has a 3/4" capsule like my AT3035s...which are a decent deal too if you can score them...

yeah its the same capsule, its on the SHURE site and Recording Hacks.

they are different though with the KSM44 having multi patten options and a dual 1" capsule for figure 8, with the KSM 27 having front only Cardiod pattern. The 27 and 44 are more similar with the 32 being electret and .75" differnet capsule.

I have both the KSM27 and the KSM44. They do sound a bit different in that the KSM27 is slightly brighter. Shure has the SM27 and PG27 and I wonder how different or similar those are to the KSM27.

I have both the KSM27 and the KSM44. They do sound a bit different in that the KSM27 is slightly brighter. Shure has the SM27 and PG27 and I wonder how different or similar those are to the KSM27.

Interesting, is the 44 body a lot bigger than the 27,? on paper it isnt but that can be tricky....

Ive had a few PG around and it wasnt horrible but for me the savings wasnt great enough over the SM series...and justr get the 57 and 7... etc and not think about it anymore.

According to RecordingHacks the SM27 is the same as the KSM27 but the noise floor was improved a bit. (and they dropped the more expensive shock mount on the SM series), some prefer the black mics too in color.

Im curious about spending the extra cash on a 44.
If for an example, the KSM44 was a 10 (as its voted #1 so far in this poll).
If the KSM is 10 what would you put the 27 at 7,8,9...9.5?
And why?

I used to have a KSM44 but sold it. It was great and I voted for it out of those choices.
But the best condensers in that price range right now are mods of cheap mics, imo.

Back