Best Condenser Mic Around $500?

Best condenser around $500?

• Total voters
Hehehe you may have something there Kenny. The Rode's in my locker outnumber the Neumann's and Sennheiser's. I just admire their complete lack of self noise. Sure comes in handy when you're doing acoustic guitar and even voice. I don't do the noisy stuff (notice I didn't call it music)......that's not my generation. :D

roadwarrior said:
Hehehe you may have something there Kenny. The Rode's in my locker outnumber the Neumann's and Sennheiser's. I just admire their complete lack of self noise. Sure comes in handy when you're doing acoustic guitar and even voice. I don't do the noisy stuff (notice I didn't call it music)......that's not my generation. :D

You will love the AT3035 then. Take my word for it. you ain't gonna regret getting the mic.

Just bought a Røde NT 2000. With our fairly new Mackie Onyx preamps it became a MAJOR step up in capturing vocals.
I have no idea how this NT 2000 is compared to others in the range though.
But reading from the net it seems to be THE mic if it is your only one in that range.
my 1/2 cent

Actually the basic electronic setup and capsule of the NT2000 is exactly the same as the NT2-A is. I had both and gave up a NT2000 to better afford a K2, which has a slightly different character (via the tube) which made more sense as I wanted several options, not just ONE sound character to work with. But you'll find it a hard mic to beat. I've compared it directly next to a U87 and frankly the Neumann has NOTHING on that NT2000. But then there are those out there that just have nothing better to do than knock Rode for their accomplishments. Oh well........you can lead that horse to water....and you know the rest....

Studiomaster and anyone else. I've got an AT3035, and I'm considering a Rode NT2000 as an upgrade. Has anyone tested these side by side? Does the AT4050 beat the NT2000 (which I can get for under 500$)?

Caotico said:
Studiomaster and anyone else. I've got an AT3035, and I'm considering a Rode NT2000 as an upgrade. Has anyone tested these side by side? Does the AT4050 beat the NT2000 (which I can get for under 500$)?

the at4050 is under 500 too. try it and see.

Of course, you need a library of mics. If I could only afford one investment of $500 I would seriously consider the Audix SCX25 "Lollipop" -- warm, shimmery, and true.

Just a thought. I recommend considering the AT 4050. One factor that isn't often discussed here but was brought up by David Josephson in a reply that he allowed me to share here pointed out the concern regarding the long term stability of the mass-produced capsules in many of the Chinese mikes. A mike that sounds good now is fine, but if you have a concern about the sound of the mike ten or fifteen years from now, you many want to pay a bit more for a mike such as the AT 4050 where the manufacturing tolerances are higher and the reject rate is low.

Of course, the other important thing is to make sure you hear how the mike sounds and see if it suits you. My aesthetic runs toward accurate mikes and the AT 4050 tends to be towards the more neutral, accurate end of the multi-pattern mikes. You may or may not like that.

Cheers,

Otto

Ksm-44

In my studio I have alot of what some might consider to be "boutique" mics(U-87, Royer R121's, Soundelux U-195, etc) anyways the KSM-44 gets alot of use on acoustic guitar, sometimes on guitar cabs depending on the sound I'm trying to get, Drum overheads sometimes, I have some "go to"vocal mics, so it doesn't get used much there, but it is a fantastic vocal mic especially on male voc's. Just my $.02. Oh yeah and it has switchable polar patterns, LF filter, and a pad on the mic which makes it a great all round mic. I would totally recommend it for what your using it for. good luck man

only one I've used was the SE that goes for $500, whichever one that was (2300?)

cut right through the crappy sounds of the room, sounded warm, realistic, complemented the inexperienced female vox w/o sounding fake.

But the others might be better.

Are you really buying a $500 mic?

but really, go cheap ribbon-- see my ribbon manifesto here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=230648

Get an used/refurbished Akg 414, or save a little more to get a new one.
I really haven't tried any of the options in the poll, but I have tried the AT4050 and it sure is one hell of a microphone, but the 414 is a legend.

Back