behringer xm8500? crap or not

apodos

I want to believe what I've read in that this mic is acceptable for live performance....
For $20, this would be great if I can get some support here.

Anyone have experience with these mics?

I don't have experience with the XM8500, but I bought a 3-pack of XM1800S's a short while back and I'm very happy with them so far. They have more top-end than my SM58's and isn't as smooth, but they are definitely very usable. I'll use them in my studio if I have to without thinking twice.

from your own description, doesnt sound like it.

and im no behringer hater.

I'm just saying they're different from the SM58 and if I had to pick one I'd pick the 58. The description I gave of the mic is the only way I can explain it in writing, but I'm still extremely happy with what I got. When I say it's got more top-end I mean it's a little brighter - not piercingly so, but just a bit more than the SM58. That could very well be why the SM58 seems smoother to me. I think it's money well spent. It's a different flavor and, like I said, I wouldn't think twice to use it in the studio if I need to.

I'm just saying they're different from the SM58 and if I had to pick one I'd pick the 58. The description I gave of the mic is the only way I can explain it in writing, but I'm still extremely happy with what I got. When I say it's got more top-end I mean it's a little brighter - not piercingly so, but just a bit more than the SM58. That could very well be why the SM58 seems smoother to me. I think it's money well spent. It's a different flavor and, like I said, I wouldn't think twice to use it in the studio if I need to.

wow very cool then. might be a cool idea! :)

The output is not as hot as a 58 and they feedback slightly quicker. You can remove the ball and they act like a 57. Not as mid-heavy or overly bright as other cheap dynamics. They seem to be durable enough. I bought a 3-pack of them a few years back and keep them in an equipment bag for emergencies or extras during rehearsals. Actually, a usable $20 mic. For an extra $10 or so, the GLS-58 comes a lot closer to SM58 performance.

Paj
8^)

Back