Behringer advice please

MiXit-G

I know this is the mic section but this brand seems to get a good bashing around here!

Freind of mine wants to buy the Behringer MX2004A mixer.

In Oz they sell for about $320 USD, for a mixer with these features its not a bad price really, a local pro says behringer make the best mixer pre-amps out there i know this is not true but how far from the truth...china? He sells them so he may be biased.

What are the worst points about behringer mixers apart from the whole thing. The faders still go up and down right???

I dont know a hell of a lot from one mixer to the other so as far as im concerned he's getting a good mixer at a good price.
I was advised against Behringer so i got myself a Soundcraft but i dont know if i could tell the diff.

What do you think ??

stay away from behringer. thats all I can say. They copy the designs from other manufacturers (Mackie for instance) but then use cheap and noisy components instead of quality ones.

They are famous for having noisy 'busses'

anyone else?

d

you can get that mixer cheaper than $320, ive seen them sell for $250 new. Its a good mixer as "your first mixer on a tight buget", the pre amps are a lil noisey.

Rochey said:
stay away from behringer. thats all I can say. They copy the designs from other manufacturers (Mackie for instance) but then use cheap and noisy components instead of quality ones.

They are famous for having noisy 'busses'

anyone else?

d

Yes they copy other brands like Mackie but I never hear the noise in the Pre- amp

detuned6 said:
you can get that mixer cheaper than $320, ive seen them sell for $250 new. Its a good mixer as "your first mixer on a tight buget", the pre amps are a lil noisey.

Does'nt anyone read were im from??? prices are a little higher after they make the journey over the pacific ocean

I don't find the preamps that bad, its the busses that I have problems with, and the alt buss is where you mute things too, so even if the channel is muted you can still get pops in the speakers from people pluging into DI's and stuff because of the crosstalk.

The preamps are not too noisy, I'm having more problems with nosiy amps and effects units than with the preamps.

I have had the gain cranked to get +4 out of the inserts with no problems. I aways take the signel from the preamps via the inserts now, the busses are useless for recording, I just use them for montioring.

I'm yet to try the preamps with a good mic yet, my C1 was supose to be in today, it should be in tomorrow. So far its just been 57's and DI's.

Ive been using the MX9000 for a couple years now. Ive spoke to a bunch of people reguarding it ( even top pros) and some actually like the behringer BETTER than a mackie (yes ok we know it was a stolen design!!) There is NO noise on my board anywhere. And the EQ IS different from the Mackie (frequencies) That is actually what peopl elike about the behringer over the mackie (the EQ) Got no bad words for the brand. Ive had only one problem with mine since i bought it,. (which turned out to be a really inexpensive repair, and was probably MY fault!)

I'm one of those persons who likes Behringer over the Mackies too. And I have worked with different boards (Yamaha 01V, Behringers, Mackies, Soundcrafts) so I DO have something to reference them too and I find the Mackie totally useless both EQ and preamp wise. It's just plain harsh. Sounds like glass. I like the Soundcraft boards over Mackies and Behringers tho.

And I own a Eurorack MX2642, it's an older board (with the old dark design), it's like 4-5 years old now and I have never had a problem with it.

Flame on,
Keijo

I used a small Behringer mixer as part of a low cost solution to a dicey PA problem in the lower level of my church. There was a 70 v. ceiling speaker system, 10 speakers, some blown, others providing temporary mice quarters, etc., being driven by an old Radio Shack amp with a set of blown pre amps. When it finally (mercifully) died, I installed a new stereo array of (8) 2-way ceiling speakers, new mic lines and so forth, awaiting the day when we could get a stereo amp that meant something. We saved the old amp (bad move) and used the Behringer for a preamp and EQ. There are four mic circuits in wall mounted XLR jacks, and a lighted wall switch turns the whole thing on or off. Now the non-techies can find this thing people tell them is a microphone and the funny cord thing that goes with it, plug it in somewhere on the wall thingie and turn on the light swich with the red lit-up thing on it, and people can hear them announce who won the raffle over the spaghetti dinner noise. That's an excellent mixer for this use, particularly at $200. For everything else, I'll use my Mackie.

I've had my MX 2004A for more than two years without any problem. Although I'm shopping for a new PreAmp I really do not have any complaints about the onboard pres. I too have worked with Mackies and yes they do tend to have a shrill sound about them. With 8 pres I have plenty of options, becuase I only use one mic at a time. Plus the only other input I use is for my CD player to dump effects or jingles. Behringer must have pissed off a lot of Mackie folks when they came out with a product that was similar to, but a hell of a lot cheaper. Although many will argue that you can not compare the two.

lavoz

Most of the concerns I've heard relate to craftmenship and longevity. I had a 1602 for about a year and had no operating issues. Like Bruce says though, this things pres sounded scratchy and had a good deal of self noise. EQ just raised the level of the noise on the top with no real effect on the lows.

My advice is to check out the piece before you buy one, I got lucky with my purchase. 36.00 for the 602A. It s been Perfect so far. Maybe so many of the horror stories should have been prevented in this way.

Hey MiXit-G

I live in Brisbane and got a MX2004A

It's fine! Hasn't wrecked once

Besides it was the only one in my price range
It retails at $799 AUD but i got it down to $600 AUD

If things were cheaper in Australia i would be able to buy a Mackie

Oh well

Cya
Tukkis

what its going to boil down to is expectations and experience with other gear....one might use a sm57 for recording vocals and think its the best thing since sliced bread....one listen to a nice LD condenser and he'll see what hes missing.....

i know this is a poor analogy since the sm57 is a really good mic and a Behringer mixer is pretty poor.....

I'm telling you..... If I was offered a Mackie 24 channel mixer and a Behringer 24 channel mixer I would choose the Behringer.
But put a Soundcraft next to those two no competition.
And there is nothing you can say to change my mind... I have worked with them all.

Keijo

Back