Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bass drum mic technique

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I used to have pretty much every thing that you do. (but someone stole my beta 52), but i remember how i got a sound that worked for me. I took of the front head and tuned the back head down as low as it would go and then i put a small 18" X 13" pillow up on the superkick. Then, i got a small stand for my beta 52 and set it right outside the drum facing right at where that beater hits. Then i ran the mic to a Composer (compressor) and then to a eq (becuase the low eq on my recorder sucks) and then into my fostex vf-16.

Thanks
    Of all things to use, i got a purely orgasmic sound with a oktava mk319 on the backside of the drum with wooden beaters. Of course it was a pretty nice drum to be thinking id get a bad sound out of it, but i was really shocked at the quality. I boosted the HIs and gave the MIDs a good cutting. It was a good sound, condensors sound cool on kick drums.

Thanks
    When you stand 5 or 10 feet in front of a drum kit facing it, you will hear a completely different bass drum sound to what you would hear if your ears are right in front of it. Thats why the room mic is so important to getting a good kick sound. Most of John Bonams bass drum sound came from distant mics. 5 feet away, 10 feet away, sometimes two floors away.

Scott Tansley

Thread Information