A band reunion after 41 years, DJL, and life in general.

Harvey Gerst

A band reunion after 41 years, and life in general.

A band reunion after 41 years - how weird is that?

Next week, I'll be driving to L.A. for a reunion with my old band, the Villagers. We were together for about a year or so in 1963, and we had an album out on RCA Victor. The amazing part is that we're all still alive after 41 years. A later band I was with in 1969 (Sweetwater) was less lucky - 4 members have died. In fact, most of the musicians I hung out with in the old days are long gone. I guess it's the price you pay for being a musician. It's not an easy life, and there are both temptations and disappointments all along the way.

It's important to cherish the time you're a musician or involved in the arts. A lot of people hang it up after a while and get into more conventional lines of work. Well, the conventional stuff will never be as much fun as the time you're a musician. A guaranteed paycheck is nice and stable, but it ain't the same as coming offstage to the sound of a 1,000 screaming fans. That's a payday!! It's a rush and a high. And you're not gonna get a standing ovation for delivering a report on time.

Yeah, it's a tough business, and about 99% of the people in it don't last, or wind up being stars. So what? For a few brief moments in your life, you're on stage, getting applause and instant feedback, that says, "Wow, they REALLY like me.". You might never become a superstar, but at least you'll have done something not too many people have done; for a few glorious shows, you were a rock star. Maybe not a big star, but a star never the less. And you'll have the pictures to prove it.

Will you kids think it's hokey? Absolutely not - their dad was a rock star!! How cool is that? I have a picture of me coming off the stage at the Miami Pop Festival - with a wide angle shot showing 40,000 people giving us a standing ovation!! Forty thousand people - all standing, and cheering. The grin on my face goes from ear to ear in that picture. Whatever I did before, and whatever I did afterwards doesn't count. For that one moment in my life, I WAS A ROCK STAR - a "Superstar".

And nobody can ever take that away from me. I may forget my name or the name of my kids, but at least that picture will outlive me, and maybe when someone asks my grandchildren, or my great grandchildren, about their grandpa, they can point to that picture and say, "He was a rock star."

Last edited by a moderator:
You go Harvey! It's VERY cool about your reunion. I hope you stick around my friend.

I have an old Sweetwater album on vinyl, I'll try to find it tonight.

Harvey Gerst said:
A band reunion after 41 years - how weird is that?

How cool is that!? Some things are just meant to happen.. is how i see it .. enjoy!

Harvey Gerst said:
DJL, and life in general

good approach
there are all types of people in the world and how you deal with them is usually how they deal with you
.. you ignore them... they ignore you

Hey!

Can we Vote on this also?

Holy crap Harvey! 40,000 people is kinda a bunch.
It beats up my 5,000 all to hell.
You are a "Rock Star"

C

Very cool Harvey. I remember my one and only standing 0. 1968 playing in a garage band in front of about a dozen neighborhood kids who wandered by to hear what all the racket was about. Didn't matter, I was proud as hell and felt like a star. Don't quit us Harvey, you're too valuable an asset to this board.

with much respect,

rpe

Dang, Harvey, I'm brand new here, and you've already taught me more than you can ever know. You leaving would be a huge huge loss. :(

Hey Harvey, I hope you have a blast! But if you're playing, who's gonna record it? :D

I was gonna order some more MoreMe's but I guess I should wait a couple of weeks, eh?

MadAudio said:
Hey Harvey, I hope you have a blast! But if you're playing, who's gonna record it? :D

I was gonna order some more MoreMe's but I guess I should wait a couple of weeks, eh?
My wife's bringing our video camera. And I'm not leaving until the 10th or 11th, so order if you want them shipped before then. They usually go out the same day I get the order.

airdvl said:
Good time for me to chime in and say thank. That thread on microphones I read after searching long before I ever heard of this bbs. I just read it without seeng where it was from I gues..lol. Any way thank!!

Would this recording have been done live at the IceHouse?
Yes, it was recorded live at the Icehouse in Pasadena. I understand Bob Stane still owns a place near there and we were talking about maybe doing a set there.

Harvey,
Are you doing your reunion in a club?
I live in L.A.County and thought maybe I could watch you guys playing if you were.

Thanks...........Ken

Didn't VH1 make a movie about your old band a few years ago?
In the early 80,s I played with a band that did pretty good. I got to play to a crowd of 12,000 one night. I was on top of the world. Funny thing is the next night we played some big club to about a dozen people. Talk about a let down.
Yeah, one of the guys from that band passed away a year or so ago. Only in his early 50's.
Enjoy your reunion.

I don't know you, but I've quietly enjoyed your posts for the past few years, Harvey. This one, too, has such good meaning and sentiment to it.

I'll hope you'll also remember that there's another way, besides being a rock star, to live on well beyond your years--and that way is teaching others. Your thoughts here do exactly that.

With best wishes to you and yours,

J.

FWIW, I've written to DJL in an attempt to solve this situation. Harvey, we want you to stay. Have a great reunion!

Dragon said:
FWIW, I've written to DJL in an attempt to solve this situation. Harvey, we want you to stay. Have a great reunion!

Wasssup bruh Dragonian Dave!! Hey man, let me moderate this forum and I'll insure that peace, tranquility,professionalism and respect reigns supreme
here. Any individual who does not adhere to the basic rules governing the BBS/Mic Forum will be issued a 1-time only warning. A 2nd offense by that individual will bring down the severest of penalties allowed. No, not suspension; No, not banishment, but the AMPUTATION OF THE OFFENDERS
FINGERS & TOES,KNEE-CAP DECONSTRUCTION AND THE INDIVIDUAL REMOVAL, 1 BY1, OF THE OFFENDERS EYEBROWS!!!!
This may appear a wee-bit harsh for a 2nd offense, but to maintain law and order here in this forum, the fear of severe & painful punishment will insure proper decorum and protocol. :D ;)

Yo' Harv-Master Gee, I KNOW the anticipation and excitement you are presently experiencing on your reunion with your old mates!! I too had a reunion of sorts myself 3 1/2 yrs ago with my old jazz-funk band (The New World 5) whose members I hadn't seen or jammed with for 25 yrs!!! We hooked up thru mutual acquaintance of ours who painstakingly took the effort to track each of us down,determine if we still had some skills left, put us in contact with each other and then eventually booked us to perform a old-school reunion of sorts at a small uptown,club (Londells) in NYC.
Man it was great!!! We basically ran thru some old funk & jazz covers, some impromptu jamming and half-@ss attempts at trying to perf'm 2 or 3 current top-40 songs. And though we had lost some shine over the years, our tenor-saxist,James Barkley,(who did a 6 mo road tour with Aretha Franklin back in the late 70's...and whose own nephew,Bokeem Woodbine, co-stars in the movie "RAY" as tenor saxist, David Fathead" Newman<<<<<sorry about the name dropping>>>>>) kept us from falling over the edge.
A fun and joyous time was what we had and afterward, we spent the remaining hours reminiscin',joking & laughing, sharing and at the end, shed a tear or 2! At the end of the evening, we promised to always keep in contact
(which we do) and even though distance,scheduling and various responsibilities has prevented us from hooking up again since the last reunion,
we have all vowed to get together in 2005!

Enjoy and richly cherish your reunion Harv-Master Gee!!!

Peace
Q.rM

Back