Thread: Balanced Outs on the DA-38

Thanks

Question Balanced Outs on the DA-38

Sign in to disable this ad
    Simple question - Am I "loosing" anything by coming out of my Tascam DA-38 thru the RCA outs? I use an RCA/XLR cable and go into a Soundcraft M board for mixdown. I am using the 25 pin balanced cable going in.

Phyl Guest
    The RCA out jack from the TASCAM is probably line level and it may overdrive the XLR input of your soundcraft board which is expecting a mic level input. Some mixer board XLR inputs can handle the higher level, you simply have to turn down the input gain or disable the pre-amp. A better way would be to go from your TASCAM RCA jack to a 1/4" jack on your board, assuming you have one.

As far as losing anything, their might be an impedance mismatch issue when connecting a line level output to a XLR input; I really don't know what the ramifications might be. If the mismatch is really bad, the usual results are distortion and/or an inability to get get enough volume.

Phyl Guest
    Should have added this to my last post...

My Aardvark Q10 uses a special input jack that can accept either XLR or 1/4" plugs. The connector is smart enough to turn off the pre-amp if a 1/4" plug is connected (it assumes the signal is line level) and turn it on if a XLR plug is connected (assumes a mic level signal).

The users manual warns against using a XLR cable to input a line level signal because the pre-amp will be turned on and could be damaged by trying to amplify a line level signal.

Long story short, it sounds like it's never a good idea to connect a line level signal to a XLR input on a mixer.

Thanks

Talking

Phil: I guess this is one of those mysteries in music/recording - I hear what you are saying, however, I tried both ways and using the RCA/XLR on my Soundcraft board sounds WAY better than going into the 1/4 sockets......what can I say - "if it sounds good it is good."

Thread Information