B1 or C1 - Difference in cost = better quality/sound?

WERNER 1

Hi Guys!

I've been doing some insane amounts of research on mics both on this BB and else where, but I still haven't came to any concrete conclusions.........I know, it's mostly individual preference, but I would like some input just as well...

Applications: Mostly Vocal and acoustic guitar, plus everything else to boot as well, like guitar cabs. (I also have a couple of 57's and a Beta 57.)

I was originally looking at the B1 since it seems to be one of the top contenders for the "Bang for buck" catagory. But then I read the "official" reviews of the C1, and they were praising this thing to high heaven! So I figure that the C1's a no-brainer for just a little over a 100 bucks more than the B1 (Buget is around 200) Well then I come accross some individul user comments on the C1, and they seem to very mixed.......so I'm a little confused........

Dose the performance of the C1 greatly out weigh the 100+ dollar difference?

I was also looking at the B3 with it's pattern selection switch, but it doesn't say that it's specificaly designed to handle higher sound pressure levels(Like guitar cabs).........the B1, and C1 do. Anyone ever used the B3 for this?

Any other suggestions would be great! :) As I'm sure just from reading here, ....everyone has their favorite!

Thanks,
Rick

Nah, the B1 isn't inherently worse, it just sounds different.
The reason it costs less is because it cost less for SP to make it, based on the design.

In fact, between those three, the B1 works the simplest on my "bright" voice.
With the C1, it's time to break out the de-esser on it.:)

The C1 is brighter than the B1, and the B3 is somewhere in between.
Most other singers have a darker voice than mine, so one of these two could sound better as a result than the B1.

You're fortunate having "regular" 57's and the Beta.
Try each one out on your voice and determine whether you like the darker SM57 or the brighter Beta. This will help determine which direction you want to go on this IMHO. You may even use one of those sometimes, for a vocal.

Only a singer here, perhaps a guitar player will chime in...

Chris

In my experience, B-1 is a more neutral mic that works well on instruments. C-1 is a mic with a presence boost ( a high mid-range bump) that works for a lot of singers. That boost makes the C-1 suitable for more vocalists, and less suitable for guitar or other instruments. So- the C-1 is a vocal mic that works on some instruments, and the B-1 is an instrument mic that works on some singers.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
So- the C-1 is a vocal mic that works on some instruments, and the B-1 is an instrument mic that works on some singers.-Richie
WERNER 1... I've never heard/read anyone put it the way Richard just did above... but, for the most part I agree. However, none of the SP B or C series mics are neutral mics.

For 200 I mi ght go for an AT3035, although I've never personally used one, my impression of it is more what I think I would buy were I to be buying such a mic.

My impression is that it's more like a versatileish more neutralish mic than a vocally mic, and right now that's what I'm itchin for.

But then again, for vocals and acoustic guitar, a bright sound could be kinda nice, I tend to favor my mxl990 (only condenser I've got right now) to my 57 on most all acoustic stuff (I play a larrivee)

Note- I said B-1 was *more* neutral than C-1, and I stand by that statement. I wouldn't suggest either one as a measurement mic.-Richie

Thanks for all of the replys so far, they've really helped me sort of weed out the options. I will eventually get another mic so if I start out with the C1, I can always pick up the B1 or B3 a little bit later.

My voice seems a bit "honky" and nasely(in a bad way), with not much high end airyness to it :( I find that I really like the bottom end to be very resenent, not boomy, but present (usually get this with the 57's proc. effect), and the mids scooped just a tad, and the high end pushed pretty good to give it that airy/breathy quality. This is how I run it live. I usually use the Beta 57 for my vocals, but latley my reg. 57 has been working better for some reason??? Very strange.

So breaking it down a bit...

B1 - Good all around, mostly instuments - Fairly neutral

B3 - Insruments and vocal - a bit brighter than the B1

C1 - Vocal and some instruments - is brighter than the B1 and B3.

I spoke with a guy I know here localy, and he said I could come in and try them out if I like.........I don't know if time will permit it, but that would be the best I'm sure.

One other question regarding the use of certian preamps with these mics: Do these mics work well with...lets say the DMP-3 or the VTB1?? (these are a couple that I've been looking into, and seem to have good feedback for the price range. (I've got 500 bucks to spend on a mic, preamp, and sound card....so I'm pretty limited, but it's a start I guess..)

Thanks again!!!

Rick

The C1 has roll-oof and a pad - higher SPL handling.

I have two AT3035s and a B1, I find it very easy to eq the B1 into a variety of applications and it's more forgiving on placement. The AT3035s are great on vocals but not guitar. If I was to have one mic it would be the B1.
IThe At3035s are beautifully made and have a roll off and pad.
The B1 is a utilitarian but remarkable well finished considering the price.

WERNER 1 said:
I spoke with a guy I know here localy, and he said I could come in and try them out if I like.........I don't know if time will permit it, but that would be the best I'm sure.

By far. I've even known folks to rent time in a major studio that has a particular set of microphones in order to be able to audition particular high end microphones side by side. There's nothing like hearing YOUR source material over the microphone. Granted, the listening enviornment will be different -- bring a CD that you are very familiar with to "tune" your ears to adjust to their environment a bit, but even so -- its best to hear it yourself if you can.

-lee-

i think richie nailed it. the B1 is indeed an instrument mic that works on *some* singers. on most singers in my experience, however, it does not. i've recorded 1 singer (out of a dozen or so) that sounds very good on the B1.

in contrast, the B1 is my usual "go to" mic for recording amps (when mated with an sm57), acoustics (when mated with my pair of 603's), mandolins and believe it or not, snare drum (when kept out of harm's way--usually aimed at the shell from about 6in away).

in total honesty, I consider the B1 to be a condenser version of an sm57. i have no problems using it in any place i'd use an sm57. in fact, i like to mate it with the 57 on those sources as well--the two make a really good combo.

i have no experience with the C1, so i won't go there....but all indications are that it was designed with vocals in mind, rather than instruments (again, as richie said).

you might be better off looking at a B1 (acoustic) and an MXL V67 (vocals)--the two will run you about $200 total and may be more in line with what you're looking for. of course, YMMV......

cheers,
wade

Richard Monroe said:
Note- I said B-1 was *more* neutral than C-1, and I stand by that statement. I wouldn't suggest either one as a measurement mic.-Richie
But neither mic is neutral... so it might be more accurate to say the B1 isn't as bright as the C1, or the C1 is brighter than the B1... and drop the neutral crap.
WERNER 1 said:
Thanks for all of the replys so far, they've really helped me sort of weed out the options. I will eventually get another mic so if I start out with the C1, I can always pick up the B1 or B3 a little bit later.

My voice seems a bit "honky" and nasely(in a bad way), with not much high end airyness to it :( I find that I really like the bottom end to be very resenent, not boomy, but present (usually get this with the 57's proc. effect), and the mids scooped just a tad, and the high end pushed pretty good to give it that airy/breathy quality. This is how I run it live. I usually use the Beta 57 for my vocals, but latley my reg. 57 has been working better for some reason??? Very strange.

So breaking it down a bit...

B1 - Good all around, mostly instuments - Fairly neutral

B3 - Insruments and vocal - a bit brighter than the B1

C1 - Vocal and some instruments - is brighter than the B1 and B3.

One other question regarding the use of certian preamps with these mics: Do these mics work well with...lets say the DMP-3 or the VTB1?? (these are a couple that I've been looking into, and seem to have good feedback for the price range. (I've got 500 bucks to spend on a mic, preamp, and sound card....so I'm pretty limited, but it's a start I guess..)

Thanks again!!!

Rick
Drop the "neutral" part and you've got it right... and either the DMP-3 or VTB-1 will work ok with the SP B and C series mics. I like the sound of the DMP-3 better, but I like the insert jacks on the VTB-1, which works perfect with an RNC inserted.

Yes, it would be best... find/make time.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've really helped me out a bunch!

I'll probably end up getting both the DMP-3 and the VTB1.........both used for the price of one new! :)

After I try out the mics I'll post my "findings".

Thanks again!!

Rick

PS - Now if someone would just be as helpfull on my thread in the "Computer Recording and Soundcards" forum I'd be set ;)

Sorry but I got to ask....

if B1 and C1 is the model, what is the make of the mics your talking about ?

I have a Behringer B-1 mic at home I bought for $150...
is this the same B-1 ?

Matt

Uhhh nope. :)

The B1, B3, and C1 are all made by Studio Projects.( They have more, but these are the ones at the root of this discussion.

Thanks,
Rick

Yep, Richie nailed it, the B1 is a fairly neutral sounding condenser workhorse microphone that sounds good on many applications and not on some vocals.

I didn't have good results on horns with it also, but wednesday I was very glad I have a pair. I had to record a bigband and I've used them in an ORTF placement on vibraphone. The sound is very nice and the spill is minimal and decent sounding, so the off axis response of the B1 is quite good.

For vocals you might like the MXL V69 Mogami or the MXL V77S better than the B1 and C1. Both MXL mics are tube mics and I like them pretty much.
I've bought the V69 for €150 and the V77 for €300.

But- and this has been said many times- the B1 is a big bang for the $ (the Studio Projects B1 that is).

Turnitdown says the Oktava MK-319 is neutral... Alan says the Marshall MXL V67G is dark, and you guys says the Studio Projects B1 is fairly neutral, and the list goes on and on... I'm guessing maybe neutral doesn't mean anything anymore? What is "fairly neutral"... I mean, where do we draw the line as to what mics are "fairly neutral" and not? What about tailored and etc?

WERNER 1 said:
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've really helped me out a bunch!

I'll probably end up getting both the DMP-3 and the VTB1.........both used for the price of one new! :)

After I try out the mics I'll post my "findings".

Thanks again!!

Rick

PS - Now if someone would just be as helpfull on my thread in the "Computer Recording and Soundcards" forum I'd be set ;)
Yeah, please do post your "findings", but give it at least a few weeks worth of use before you post your results/opinions... like after you've used them on a bunch of instruments and in a few larger type mixes and etc... reason being, sometimes we change our minds about something after we've used it for more than just a few days. ;)

I guess I should reiterate.......I'll post my first impressions after I go check out the mics in the studio. :)

Thanks,
Rick

Han said:
Don, do you really need someone to tell you what a fairly neutral sounding mic is, lol!
Sure why not... some newbies might be a little confused too and also like to know where we should draw the line as to what LDC mics are "fairly neutral" and not? Thanks :)

Back