AT4041 vs Rode NT5

Killer B

Hi there ppl.

Just wondering if anyone can offer some comments on these mics. Am looking at them, as they both have good reputations and come at the right price for me.

I will be using them as drum overheads with a shure PG52 for the kik and SM57 for the snare, and may use trigger mics on the toms to position samples if needed.

As a guide, though, Im looking for a nice balance of the kit. Hoping to get a mic that will be versatile enough to perform for light rock and easy listening, to heavy metal.

I have tried a pair of MXL603s, found they give a remarkable acoustic guitar sound, but I found them to have a 'distanced' character. I couldnt get them up front in the mix. Should have analysed it more, but I just didnt like them for the drums, thats that.

Thanks for your comments.

Price range: $250-$400 absolutely firm.

-Anthony.

I have one 4041, and love it. I also bought the bulk pac mic from 8th street, but for whatever reason, it came with a box. That's a great deal.

I usually use it in conjunction with an SP B3 on omni to record acoustic guitar, but have had equally great results usinbg it by itself on mandolin and other acoustic instruments. If you want, I may be able to dig up a song where I used the mic. Unfortunately, I don't record drums, so I can't help you there.

DJL said:
AKG C451's.

I got one of these for acoustic guitar, and it's been really so so...

For some songs, like fingerstyle stuff, it sounded really great, nice and warm. For strumming stuff, it seemed to be a bit too warm no matter where I place it (muddy for lack of a better term)... Now, that could be due in part to the guitars that I'm using (both dreadnaughts which tend to be bassy), but I've found myself using some other mics that sound better for some songs (AT4040, and LD, is one that I like to use) because they get a much more cutting sound (probably the wrong adjective... could also say bright, sharp, clear, present... without being harsh of course).

Anyways, I'm not downing it in any way at all, just saying that I didn't get as much use out of it as I thought I would on acoustic guitar... It does however sound killer on my Djembe (african hand drum), so for your drums, it's probably a great application! You might end up using the 603s on acoustic more though. Although you didn't agree with this ( i think), I've heard that 603s really help an acoustic cut through the mix. ( RE: http://www.mojopie.com/603.html )

SmattyG said:
I got one of these for acoustic guitar, and it's been really so so...

For some songs, like fingerstyle stuff, it sounded really great, nice and warm. For strumming stuff, it seemed to be a bit too warm no matter where I place it (muddy for lack of a better term)... Now, that could be due in part to the guitars that I'm using (both dreadnaughts which tend to be bassy), but I've found myself using some other mics that sound better for some songs (AT4040, and LD, is one that I like to use) because they get a much more cutting sound (probably the wrong adjective... could also say bright, sharp, clear, present... without being harsh of course).

Anyways, I'm not downing it in any way at all, just saying that I didn't get as much use out of it as I thought I would on acoustic guitar... It does however sound killer on my Djembe (african hand drum), so for your drums, it's probably a great application! You might end up using the 603s on acoustic more though. Although you didn't agree with this ( i think), I've heard that 603s really help an acoustic cut through the mix. ( RE: http://www.mojopie.com/603.html )
I love the Marshall MXL603S on acoustic instruments like acoustic guitar... but, I don't really care for the 603S's as drum overheads. :)

i've owned pairs of both the rode nt5s and the at4041s, and frankly i was pretty unimpressed by both of them. they are both serviceable for applications within a busy mix, but i would not use them for any solo work or important pieces of a mix. then again, i wasnt all that happy with km184s either which are far better than the rodes or ATs. i liked my old akg c391b's better than the nt5s or at4041s. however, i never did find any inexpensive small condensers that i liked. the first truly good sd condensers i used were some sennheiser mkh40s, and finally i bought a pair of schoeps cmc64s - both of those are extremely smooth and natural. (please note that i do classical and chamber music, and yes, i have to be a bit pickier about mics than most pop/rock applications.)

Thanks for your comments. Am interested in the studio projects C-4 too, now.

But the most interesting, is the recommendations for the C451's. I have picked up that they are the (probably) the most reputable mic for the job, but everytime Ive looked for them, theyre always about $900-1000. - Does someone know how to get them for a price more like $400? or is it just a case of the wise logic of "buy once, buy right"? Im real hesitant about buying used mics, especially condensers.

Thanks.

-Anthony

I've never used the C4's before so I can't comment on them.

But, the AKG C451's kickass as drum overheads. Remember... buy cheap, buy twice... so, I bit the bullet and got the 451's. :)

I know, and that is usually my attitude too, but sometimes we just gotta work within boundaries eh. Thanks for all your comments.

I like my NT5s as drum overheads but I really only pickup cymbals because the skin sounds are electronic.
I recently tried them on a classical guitar and did not like them until I got a good proximity from them in a stereo configuration (MS) where they sounded brilliant.
I can't comment on any of the other mics for lack of experience.

Back