AT2020 or SP B1?

vbibber

Okay..so you guys convinced not to go for a really cheap mic and upgrade the budget a litlle bit. But even then it's hard to choose. I'll pick some mics which cost about the same here in the Neterlands.

AT2020
Studio Projects B1
Behringer B1
MXL 2006

I will mostly do singer/songwriter style recordings with acoustic guitar and vocals. I like a warm folky/country style sound. For a man I've got a rather high voice. I read the AT2020 works quite well on this type of vocal, but I'm a bit worried the sound will be not warm enough because of low-end roll off. How do the other mics compare to the AT2020 on warmness? Everyone is quite enthusiastic about the SP B1, but I also read it's not great on vocals. While I'd like a mic which is in the first place good on vocals. What do you guys think?

I've "heard" that you can't go wrong with AT line. I don't own one, so I can't comment. I do however own a SP B1 that I got used for $50. It's not my first choice for vocals, but it sure doesn't sound like a $50 mic. Very clear, and crisp. If you're a beginner, this mic would be an excellent choice. If you're not a beginner, this mic is still worthy to have in your mic locker. It's great on acoustic guitars as well. GOOD LUCK! :)

Both mics are very good for the money (both about $100 in the U.S.).

The Studio Projects is what some people call a fairly "honest" LDC mic, in that it isn't hyped on the top or scooped in the midrange... it pretty much captures what it "hears". It also has an extended low end compared to the AT-2020. If you like the sound of your own voice and your acoustic guitar without expecting the mic to add high frequency "sizzle" or scooping out the mid frequencies, the SP B1 would be a good choice. If you want a medium diaphragm condenser mic (the AT-2020 isn't a LDC) with a rolled off low end, the AT-2020 would be a good choice.

If you can talk your local music shop into it, try them both at the shop; record your voice into whatever small recorder/monitor system they have on display, listen to both mic tracks, and buy the one you like the best. Let us know what you decided to go with and why.

PS : I own lots of mics, including two SP B1's and a SP B3, so consider my reply with that in mind.

I don't think you're going to be happy with any of those mics for the singer-songwriter thing. The AT2020 sounds much better than the B1 on most vocals. The SP B1 doesn't have a forced rolled off low end so you're not hemmed in that way.

Back