Art M-Five Ribbon

elbandito

potential lunch winner
Just came across one of these guys for sale (used) and was thinking about scooping it up, as I don't yet have a ribbon mic in my locker... have any of you used it before? Is it decent (as in, $130 worth of decent)? Also, I know about the fragility of ribbons, so what's the best way to check out the mic if I do decide to purchase it?

Heard good things about 'em, looking at gettin one myself.
But new is $150, unless the used one is still unused-in-the-box you shouldn't pay more than $100 for it.
Just buy it new.

Just came across one of these guys for sale (used) and was thinking about scooping it up, as I don't yet have a ribbon mic in my locker... have any of you used it before? Is it decent (as in, $130 worth of decent)? Also, I know about the fragility of ribbons, so what's the best way to check out the mic if I do decide to purchase it?

Depends on what your going to do with said ribbon microphone.

Oh yeah, and as far as how to check out a used (or new) ribbon mic- Plug it in (phantom power off), put on some cans, and gently rotate the mic in a semicircle so that each address side is facing down at the floor, and then back again. As the mic moves from one side facing down to the other, you should hear- nothing.
If you do, run, don't walk. Fixing the sagging ribbon will cost more than a cheap ribbon mic is worth.-Richie

Back