Appropriate mic for recording saxophone

slewis

Hi,

I have been humming and hawwing over what mics to get for recording saxophone. Not even sure if it is better to look at large diaphragm or pencil condensors. As far as smaller condensors, I have been curious about the at 4041's, shure sm 81's, and the C-4's.

In the end, I'm open to hearing what different people have used or have heard are good mics for recording solo saxophone.

Thanks!

Like Gecko sez the humble behri c-2 does a fine job on sax. We use a Naiant X-S mic for alto sax and clarinet with really good results live and in the studio.

(Tenor, alto, windsynth player)

First, you didn't say WHICH sax.

The sax is very close to the range of the human voice and vocal mics are usually best.
But you got some very different ranges:
Bari sax is in the very low register
Tenor is like a crooner male voice
Alto and soprano/soparino are like high female voices
---- treat them as such -------

There IS a big difference in the horns.....
(and in the way you mic them, sopranos are mic'ed different than bari's)

The higher end alto/soprano would go well with a good LDC.
Tenor and bari are often better with dynamics like an MD-421 or EV-RE20.
ALL of them like an additional LDC back a few yards for ambiance.

If you've got the bucks, a U-87, U-67 (or their clones) or a quality ribbon mic ain't gonna be wrong...

Here's a good guide for mic placement recording different instruments:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_micsmusicstudio_ea.pdf

Last edited:
out of all my mics I've pretty much preferred the V-67. I don't have anything really expensive though.

I also like my EV N/D series mics on sax. Don't really care for a SM57 or 58 very much.

out of all my mics I've pretty much preferred the V-67. I don't have anything really expensive though.

I also like my EV N/D series mics on sax. Don't really care for a SM57 or 58 very much.

I got to agree with you on the MXL V67g.... Lt.;)

:cool:

I'm such a plum. I generally use a T-bone EM700 on clarinet and alto sax as they're the only condensers I have ! I've learned more about the mystery of mic placement with them than anything I've ever had. I used to be a "point it at the soundsource" man but moving the mic about, there really are some positions that sound 'better' than others. And I don't have to boost much. I've used a dynamic, the infamous shure SM 58, on them but I wasn't that thrilled with the sound. But one of the cheapo drum mics, the Superlux PRA 228A was surprizingly good to my cloth ears. Mind you, I'm easy to please and I don't think my ears are fine tuned at all. It's my son that hears helicopters ten minutes before anyone else.

(Tenor, alto, windsynth player)

First, you didn't say WHICH sax.

The sax is very close to the range of the human voice and vocal mics are usually best.
But you got some very different ranges:
Bari sax is in the very low register
Tenor is like a crooner male voice
Alto and soprano/soparino are like high female voices
---- treat them as such -------

There IS a big difference in the horns.....
(and in the way you mic them, sopranos are mic'ed different than bari's)

The higher end alto/soprano would go well with a good LDC.
Tenor and bari are often better with dynamics like an MD-421 or EV-RE20.
ALL of them like an additional LDC back a few yards for ambiance.

If you've got the bucks, a U-87, U-67 (or their clones) or a quality ribbon mic ain't gonna be wrong...

Here's a good guide for mic placement recording different instruments:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_micsmusicstudio_ea.pdf

You're right, forgot to mention which sax(es). They are very different. I am doing my Master's degree in saxophone performance and am mainly looking to record the higher two of the family, alto and soprano...occasionally a full quartet. Should note also that I am not recording jazz, but classical and contemporary music with large dynamic ranges. Sensitivity in the microphone is important, and I imagine a low self-noise is key, too.

Hi,

I have been humming and hawwing over what mics to get for recording saxophone. Not even sure if it is better to look at large diaphragm or pencil condensors. As far as smaller condensors, I have been curious about the at 4041's, shure sm 81's, and the C-4's.

In the end, I'm open to hearing what different people have used or have heard are good mics for recording solo saxophone.

Thanks!

Two mics that I like on alto and tenor sax are the Peluso CEMC6 and SM81. I also like tube mics on saxes, as it can bring out a little sizzle :)

Previously, when people have asked about miking sax, I've suggested they do not ignore the humble Behringer C2.

The C2 is one of the few budget SDCs that has a smooth top end, albeit they can be a little noisy. Still, a very decent mic for those on a tight budget.

Ribbons are it...

Low Budget
T7000
Fat Head

Mo budget
R92
R84
r121

I can dig through my archive and find something in you're interested.

For alto on down, AEA R84 works very well.
RE-20 is also very good and less delicate if you are playing out.

I've never worked with a soprano sax, so I got nothing for recommendations there. I expect you would mic it differently than the others.

A little bit of a different beast but also somewhat similar enough that i bet would work great for Sax, i would suggest the EV PL80. I have been looking for a great mic for my trombone for years especially to use live and seriously for the price you pay for one i am always blown away by how well it sounds on my trombone. Super smooth, almost no harshness or tinnyness and you can mic it nice and up close.

My God, this thread is educational! From a group of experienced trackers, nearly every type of mic that exists has been recommended! Large and small diaphragm condensers, medium and large diaphragm dynamics, and ribbons. What does this all mean? It means there is no concensus, and you can record sax with any microphone that exists, and you may get good results. Most of my experience with sax is with alto and baritone sax, not with tenor and soprano. However, if I was doing my first pass on tenor or soprano sax, I'd use the best dynamic I could lay my hands on, and a condenser with good high frequency detail backed off a bit.

In my studio, that means I would use Shure SM7b or Sennheiser MD421 up close (EV RE20 would be fine also, but I don't own one), and Neumann KM184 or AKG C414 backed off as an ambient mic. Those are just the mics I have that fit the bill. For a lot less money, there's no reason I couldn't use AKG D770 or Sennheiser e835 for the dynamic and a Studio Projects C4 or MXL 603/604 backed off. For alto or baritone sax, the ambient mic would likely be a large diaphragm condenser, such as C414 or B.L.U.E. Kiwi. For cheaper, I'd use B.L.U.E. Bluebird or a Studio Projects B-1. Best of luck-Richie

Back