Anyone Ever Hear of a Sony ECM-23F Condenser

monty

Banned
I picked up a Sony ECM-23F condenser mic for almost nothing. I looked it up in a database on the web and it sold for $285 in 1978. I plugged it into an old Tubeworks Tube Driver I've had sitting around and it seems to sound better than anything else I have so far. I'm not a vocalist so I'm trying to do some singing (I use the word with caution) with what I have before I waste any money on my voice. I just wondered if anyone had an opinion of such a mic, and/or the Tubeworks Tube Driver.

No? Okay you dumb shit now see what you've done. Driven everyone away and now you're all alone here in this microphone topic. When will you ever learn?

Hey man...I've never had ANY luck finding info on vintage gear on this BBS.

I'm still waiting on information on:

Yamaha NS-500 speakers (circa 1978)
NAD Series 20 power amp (circa 1980)
AKG D1000

and a few other items. Too many of us "youngins" around here perhaps.

If you've got a good site for looking up info like this lemme know.

Slackmaster 2000

You would say that. Now if I can just remember what I did. I figure if I just do another search, I will probably end up doing the same as I did before. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Okay, just to show you how my brain works, the database wasn't on the web, it was in one of those bluebooks at the music store. I went by the local Music-Go-Round and asked to see the book. The one with all the new and used prices of gear. I forgot because I ran in to Casey Ferrel who did a show on the local TV channel called 'Killer Guitar School', and it jarred my whole train of thought at the time. Sorry Slack, but I did see some vintage sites when I typed 'microphones' on Yahoo search.

I swear I saw that blue book on the web a couple years back. I wish I had bookmarked it at the time. It was a great listing of used gear. If I stumble across it, I'll let you guys know.

2 brand new never-used matched Sony ECM-23F condenser microphones for sale

The ECM-23F mic runs on an internal AA battery, not phantom power (which can be a handy thing) and is a back electret condensor microphone...the element is charged by the internal battery. I was told they are great on drum overheads, hi-hats, acoustic guitar, any source that has a lot of high frequency content. Extra features the ECM-23F has included a -6 db pad switch inside (works great on snare), and a bass rolloff ring on the outside. The bass rolloff is around 100 Hz and has a fairly gentle slope -- great when recording snare or hi-hats without too much kick drum in.

I saw that you were inquiring about this microphone. I am selling mine, so I thought I would check if you are interested in buying 2 brand new never-used matched Sony ECM-23F condenser microphones. The mics are in new shape -- my father bought them new and never used them, now passed away. They have been stored in a climate controlled environment.

Included are original boxes, windscreens, cables, and manual -- all new and never used.

Munchausen

I just found your (ancient) inquiry about Sony ECM23F mics. I have a pair
of them, bought new in 1981. They have been "rode hard and put up wet", in use for everything from VO's for film/video, to recording symphony orchestra. Can't say enough about their ruggedness, but now with more sophisticated digital equipment, their self-noise is much more evident. Don't use them much any more, and they're quite lonely.

You can increase the output and the dynamic range, and lower the noise by substituting a 9 to 12V battery for the 1-1/2V current battery.

Sony Ecm-23f

My goodness, the things Sony doesn't divulge! Thanks for info. Any way
this mic can be used with phantom power?

Jeez, I asked this question 5 years ago. Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it just takes a while to get an answer, but if you wait long enough…

I still have the mic…it’s still sitting here…not getting any use…I’m just not a singer…but I WILL use it for something…really. I'll have to try that battery change, Harvey.

I have a set in like new condition of Sony ECM-23F recording mikes; what would you like to know about them.

Gee this thread started in the year 2000, and the last post was 2005, you would have been better off to start a new thread on these mics.

Alan.

I have had (and use regularly) four of the CMS 23 mics that I purchased in the early 1970's and find them excellent for most things that I have used them on.

I particularly like the sound on a good acoustic guitar and snare and hi-hat and unlike some of the dynamic mics (very well know brand) that I purchased around the same period, they have not lost their sensitivity or frequency response.

I have even high boomed them (about 10ft) over the front of a swing band (20 piece) and the sound was excellent.

It is just a shame that they are not Phantom powered.

I also like the sister Sony mic that came out about the same time (ECM 22p), but they used the Eveready 206 batteries that today can be very hard find, and the batteries that can be purchased are generally a slightly lower voltage, so that I have to keep an eye on the batteries as their voltage lowers if I am using the mic outside of the studio, or the mic becomes a bit noisy, but unlike the ECM 23, the ECM 22p can be phantom powered.

Although the original post was many years ago, I hope the above gives some help to anyone with these mics.

David

Back