Any thoughts on the zingyou mics on amazon?

Slegnav

All, been pondering a new mic purchase for low budget home studio and have run across these as affordable and comes with bonus equipment as a package deal. have watched youtube vids detailing how these stack up to more expensive mics but not sure I am convinced. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.amazon.com/ZINGYOU-Micr...?ie=UTF8&qid=1549294732&sr=8-60&keywords=mics

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHMUQ2...&pd_rd_r=5b9e90b8-2894-11e9-96f5-33801498f23a

I did a search in the forum and did not see this so I am hoping that I did not miss any earlier post and am asking for something already reviewed extensively. Any help or thoughts on these as I understand there has been infinite discussions ( and good ones) on budget mics.

thanks!

These are very well known usually under the Bm-400 or 800 links like this.
zingyou condenser microphone kit, bm-800
You're probably expecting to be told they're rubbish - but frankly, they're daft balun for money. They're not going to cause sleepless nights in the quality mic manufacturer's design departments - BUT - they're an awful lot better than many of the dull sounding dynamics. There is a video on youtube somewhere where somebody compares one with a beautiful vintage Neumann/telefunken which is worth a listen.

The very strange thing is they come with an XLR to 3.5mm cable which goes into a computer - which should NOT be able to power it over a balanced mic circuit, but it actually works. I bought a few of these for a project where they were likely to get wet, and they did a fine job - and didn't get wet. They power off normal 48V phantom power but the 5v from my laptop also powered them fine.

The shock mount works well, and they're not badly made. Lightweight alloys, but pretty solid. Clearly a factory is knocking them out by the thousands, and for podcasting and modest recording requirements they're pretty decent value for money. What do you get for this money? A counterfeit SM57, some pretty dull sounding 'ice cream cone' dynamics? I've got four on the shelf, and they'll come in handy at some point.

Back