anti vibration mic adapter vs. shockmount. which is better?

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
can someone tell me if these two pieces of equipment are the same, and if so, which is the better one. the antivibration adapter being a lot cheaper is the only thing i know to be a fact right now.

It sounds like the exact same thing. The "antivibration adapter" sounds like a name that someone came up with to sound really technical so they can boost the price. Do you have link to the pieces? What kind of mic are you looking at?

RF

The "antivibration adapter" sounds like a name that someone came up with to sound rea

it looks cheap, which may be the reason why the price is so low. it retails at $9-12.00. i went out and got one from this pawn dealer new in the pack today. i have yet to try it, and i can't compare it to a shock mount because i never used one. the rubber bands seperate the two main rubber pieces to decrease vibrations, but i want to know if it works as good as the shockmount minus the good lucks or if it's just some el' cheapo gadget that really doesn't work. rushfan, take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Where's the pic or link? From your description, it sounds like it's the exact same thing but the one you bought is from an "off brand".... no?

RF

off into the drawer of no return it goes

my condenser's body is waay too big for it. it's mainly meant for dynamics or condensers with smaller bodies i suppose.

Don't throw your money away on that.

It probably works as bad as it looks.

If you NEED a shock mount you'll know it. Don't buy one just because it looks "cool" in your studio to prospective clients.
I'll admit an MD-421 hanging in a shock mount DOES look cool, but why waste the money if you don't need it?

Are you getting a lot of low frequency rumble in your recording space when you listen to the playback? Do you move hot mics around alot?

If not, I would reconsider the expendature.

Yeah... I totally agree with Sennheiser! That looks like a peice of crap! Old bicycle innertubes that are being reused as a "anti-vibration adapter"! Get your money back if you can!

RF

Get your money back

i wish that i could. an inexpensive lesson learned. thanx for the feed back. i do not get any low rumble noise nor do i move my mic around alot. i guess i may not need it. they look really cool though. hmmm, i might follow this do it yourself project if i ever need one. thanx again.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tjobrien/shockmount.html

Back